My folder markers are missing.

I recently started using Syncthing and noticed that my folders were not syncing. I am running Windows 7 and the latest version of Syncthing. I keep seeing a message that says, "Sopping folder XXXX, folder marker missing. Is there a way I can fix this? It’s happening with two of my folders. I’ve read several things online, but I don’t think anything is helping. Any suggestions will help. Thanks.

Folder marker missing - meaning .stfolder file (that is user as folder marker) can’t be found in the directory you are trying to sync

This can be due to:

1. You’ve manually deleted it.
  2. Syncthing don’t have write access to this directory, and can’t created this file in the first place.
  3. Something else I haven’t thought of…

So first, check if the file is there (it’s usually hidden, make sure “view hidden files” is enabled in your file browser). Then check permissions.

1 Like

If you are syncing a drive which is not the system drive, it could be, that that drive isn’t currently mounted.

The .stfolder file / folder marker is a security precaution for situations where (external) drives are not mounted for some reason so the complete folder is empty. Without the .stfolder file check, Syncthing would think that the empty folder is on purpose and delete all files on the other node(s).

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.