My device Id Changed and folder lost after copy folder to hardisk

My device Id Changed and folder lost after copy folder to hardisk. Pleasee Help me guys :slight_smile:

1 Like

What do you mean folder is lost?

1 Like

my device ID become new like syncthing instalation first time, please help me

1 Like

how to restore my device ID syncthing ?

1 Like

You really should first describe in details what operating system and environment we are talking about here, and also how you have installed Syncthing in the first place.

I’d also suggest checking https://docs.syncthing.net/users/config.html for specific paths, where the configuration is stored. That said, if you’ve lost your certificate files completely, restoring the previous ID is simply impossible.

1 Like

Your device ID is defined by the key.pem and cert.pem files in your Syncthing config directory. If you still have those from the old disk, copy them over to the new one. If you don’t have them anymore, you can’t restore the device ID.

2 Likes

It depends which configuration path your syncthing was and is using right now.

Try to find the original configuration path that syncthing was running in.

For example mine is in ~/.config/syncthing/, which I believe is the default. But the first time you ran it, depending where/how you ran it from, it might have used a different config path.

If you’re not sure where to start, do a full system search for the string ‘syncthing’, and try to find where was that original configuration folder that had your original configuration / device ID. The configuration folder should contain key.pem, a .db file, e.g. index-v0.14.0.db, a .xml file like config.xml.

Once you find it, you can call the syncthing command line and pass that folder as its configuration directory using the ‘-home’ switch.

Otherwise, it shouldn’t be a big deal to simply start a new configuration, your files should still be in the same place.