Mass Device Approval via GUI or CLI

For example Like BTSync, When we share a Read-Only key, all they have to do is add the key, select a download directory and leave it as be. No one on the other end has to approve of it.

Unfortunately, a group of at-least guaranteed 500+ I’m working with are looking for new options, wanting to get away from BTSync practices.

The problem is I can’t sit in front of my computer all day, manually add every single device, set compression, and share the folder for at least 500+ users. The server I’ll be hosting on will be a Master Node, so it’s necessary for me to do this since its a single host project.

I can’t use syncthing-cli because it keeps wanting to connect to 127.0.0.1:8384 which is no longer a option for me since it’s a datacenter server.

Will this feature every be a thing?

EDIT: Poor choice of words regarding documentation. Difficult to understand in my perspective.

The documentation is not poor. Events API is the best documented part I think. You can capture DeviceConnected events and do posts to /rest/system/config to add the device.

Though that doesn’t suddenly mean that all nodes see all other nodes, as they’d have to add the other peers explicitly, unless you’d be added as introducer.

But then anyone can modify the data, because I think that you are misunderstanding what master mode does.

Also your argument about syncthing-cli makes no sense, why is posting to a loopback address suddenly become an issue in a datacenter?

I have poor choice of words. Lack of programming experience and lack of expression is my downfall. Let me try again.

My understanding of the Master Mode is the Data Center server is technically acting as a “read only” entity, So all the Devices/Nodes/Clients who I give the Device ID out to connect to, they receive all the same files as its a community project, but maintained by 1 person. Us users are placing up mirrors for better access to the application.

Devices/Nodes/Clients if they add any files to their download location, it won’t change/modify the current status of the Master Mode folder. That’s the way I read it.

The reason I don’t have a loop back because I’m accessing the GUI remotely since the server is in NYC. I can’t connect to it unless I set the GUI Listen Address to 0.0.0.0 in-turn I can use the Server IP address I was given when I made the account. That in turn causes issues with syncthing-cli because syncthing-cli is only pointed to loopback

Your understanding is wrong, check the docs. Master means I refuse to accept updates, not Nobody else can make modifications.

-h says otherwise.

I think I’m still explaining it wrong how I have the server setup and other Nodes/Clients/Devices receive files. I’ll just leave it as it, since I’m only in testing phase.

If I launch ‘syncthing-cli -h’ It’s says incorrect usage. I have your latest build #1171 also.

I do see Global options of --endpoint, -e which lists the loopback as default. As I mentioned, I’m horrible as reading and executing this. I have no idea how to change it so it will read my current configuration

You just use:

syncthing-cli -e "https://<public ip>:<port?" id

The point about the setup, the fact that your server is setup as master is only relevant to you. Any one of your peers will be able to modify the files, which as a result will cause other peers to accept the changes they’ve made, making your master version old and not interesting to anyone.

Ah okay, I’ve changed it back to default then.

I launched that command and it’s now asking for username and password, which I know, but implementing it into the command. I do see using -u and -p

EDIT: Figured out the argument.

syncthing-cli -u ‘username’ -p ‘password’ -e 'https://ip:port id

1 Like

You can also use port forwarding via SSH.