Mac Log Location Error "isn't making progress - check logs"

Hi guys,

itā€™s me again. I am getting the following error:

15:12:28: Folder ā€œabcā€ isnā€™t making progress - check logs for possible root cause. Pausing puller for 1m0s.

I wanted to analyse the log but I canā€™t find it. I am using Mac OS X 10.10.2 installed with Brew:

Iā€™ve looked in /usr/local/Cellar/syncthing and in the abc folder. How can I find the log and what is the name of the log?

Anyway, do you know what above error might mean?

Thanks again, Sven

Syncthing logs to standard out. What happens to that standard output depends on how itā€™s being run. Are you running it from the command-line? Launchd? etc? Whatever mechanism you are using to run it, check what that mechanism does with its stdout.

I have started the application with

launchctl load ~/Library/LaunchAgents/homebrew.mxcl.syncthing.plist

For automatic startup Iā€™ve used: ln -sfv /usr/local/opt/syncthing/*.plist ~/Library/LaunchAgents

Whatā€™s the default output location for the launchctl?

Thanks

Iā€™m not a machead Iā€™m afraid - youā€™ll have to use google. A quick search suggests there are lots of useful results.

Hi,

I found a solution to debug. I just started the application over the command prompt and the error message was shown in the terminal. It was a permission error. Now, everything is working fine :smile:

Thanks!

If your LaunchAgent plist, you could add (for example) this to log to say /tmp/

<key>StandardErrorPath</key>
<string>/tmp/net.syncthing.syncthing.stderr</string>
<key>StandardOutPath</key>
<string>/tmp/net.syncthing.syncthing.stdout</string>

Now, I use Homebrew too (awesome) but for something like SyncThing, it really doesnā€™t make much sense to use it in my opinion. Homebrew is great for things with lots of dependencies/options, say php, but SyncThing being a single binary it seems overkill. Just my opinion.

1 Like

This is late to the game but Iā€™ll leave this for my future self. Homebrew currrently(May 2016) installs the syncthing and syncthing-inotify logs to:

homebrew/var/log/syncthing.log
homebrew/var/log/syncthing-inotify.log
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.