Mac: how to change dir where it puts shared folders

When you share, it puts the folders that you get from other people (which is all our folders) under the users unix home directory. This is “invisible” to normal Mac users, as it doesnt appear anywhere in finder.

We need a solution for normal users (Who dont know what a terminal is) to change it so all shares appear in Documents or Desktop or similar where they are visible in finder (and show up in searches etc).

I read a post saying you had to shut down syncthing via terminal, edit some config files and restart. This is not feasible many of our users (they dont know unix commands or what a terminal is).

Is there any other way, e.g. form the UI?

We ideally need solutions for:

1. those who already have the shares in the wrong place.
  2. those who are about to start (i.e. havent connected with anyone yet.

As you accept folders, you are given a chance to modify the path.

Unfortunately, in our organisation, the only way to get folders is to autoaccept. This puts them in the home dir. I see that its possible to change this to tild/Desktop for example, but this only works if its done before the syncing starts. We need to change the dir for the users who have already synced, but cant “find” the dir as the default is not visible in the finder.

God, I forgot all the questionable hacks we add to satisfy users.

Anyways, there is a default folder path setting in either settings -> options or settings -> advanced somewhere. I am surprised you managed to find auto accept but not that. This will only affect new folders, existing ones you will have to remove and readd manually at a different path, or as explained elsewhere, improve your commmand line fu and go modifying config files by hand while syncthing is off.

Hi, where is the config file? I looked in tild/.config. The issue is I need instructions for non-tech mac users (think marketing). I cant ask them to learn unix unfortunately. It would be fun to try, but painful to support.

I think it varies per platform, if you open the terminal, run syncthing -paths, it should show where it is.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.