Linux / window case sensitivity

I share a folder with ST between linux (on ext4) and windows (on ntfs).

I have problem when I try to correct case on linux:

• Windows: Create foo.txt
  • Linux: rename foo.txt -> Foo.txt
  • L: foo.txt comes back (with Foo.txt together)
  • L: Deleting foo.txt
  • L: Foo.txt is delete too.

I have to rename with a another name (in case independent term). And then, after waiting for sync, Rename file back with the correct case.

With syncthing under linux sharing folder located on ntfs partition, there is strange case sensitivity problem too.

Question: Does syncthing support nfts case sensitivity (fsutil.exe file SetCaseSensitiveInfo C:\folder\path enable) ?

Syncthing does not support case-only renames when a case-insensitive filesystem (or operating system) is involved (on ANY machine syncing the folder). If you do this, you will likely encounter all kinds of ugly behavior.

This is a known limitation of the current implementation. Depending on the exact setup, there may be workarounds available but it does not work out of the box.

(If all machines share the same behavior, e.g everything is case-sensitive or case-insensitive it should work fine. Issues happen when the cross-platform behavior is different.)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.