Linux/Debian - SD card path - folder path missing on system startup

Hello,

I’m running Syncthing 1.18.3 on Debian Linux on a laptop with not a lot of internal storage. As such, I have large folders that are synchronized on a permanently inserted micro SD card (exFat formatted). I use Syncthing-GTK as my front-end in Gnome 3.

At every startup the folders on the SD card are ‘Stopped’ with the ‘folder path missing’ error message. The SD card auto mounts itself at startup via the desktop environment. Other sync folders in the home directory are showing as ‘Up to Date’.

I am able to get all the folders running by manually restarting Syncthing after startup, but this is irritating to have to do every time. I’ve met with this very same issue on another laptop with a similar SD card configuration using different versions of Syncthing and Linux.

I’ve tried delaying startup of Syncthing by 15 seconds but I get the same problem. Should I be mounting the SD card a different way (e.g, through fstab?) instead of relying on the auto-mounting features?

1 Like

Yeah if the sdcard is permanently present mounting it somewhere earlier in the boot process would probably help. Right now it probably mounts after user logon (or after the system has booted into the GUI)? Depending on how you start syncthing, it may already be running for some time at that point (e.g systemd services can start way earlier than user logon).

I also believe that syncthing auto-retries those folders in some interval, so it should work eventually even with the current flow. But getting rid of that issue in the first place is probably better.

A systemd service with a mount dependency should solve this IMHO.

2 Likes

Hello again,

Thank you for the very quick reply and for the feedback. I was able to solve the issue by adding an entry to /etc/rc.local:

#!/bin/sh -e

sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/sd

exit 0

In my case /etc/rc.local was a new file, so it needed to be made executable:

sudo chmod +x /etc/rc.local

Regards, Tymek

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.