Latest version (1.0.0) incompatible with systemd on Debian Jessie

I’ve just spent a little while diagnosing a laptop on which syncthing had suddenly stopped auto-starting - since it was upgraded to syncthing 1.0.0 last night.

The laptop is running Debian Jessie. All my other systems are running Debian Stretch, but for compatibility testing purposes I need one which is running the older software.

If invoked from the command line, syncthing still works fine, but it doesn’t start as a user service. The problem seems to be in the file:

/usr/lib/systemd/user/syncthing.service

provided in the syncthing deb package, and lies in the new Hardening section. In particular, the systemd on Debian Jessie doesn’t seem to understand MemoryDenyWriteExecute=true (or at least, that’s the first thing which it complains about).

It all seems to work fine on Debian Stretch, but not on Debian Jessie.

I offer this purely as a documentary record, and in the hope of sparing someone else the pain. It was only by chance that I spotted that syncthing had silently stopped working. It could have been serious if I hadn’t picked it up.

1 Like

There’s also an old (RHEL) systemd that by mistake makes /home read only instead of /usr, for the ProtectSystem option. It’s quite hilarious and totally on brand for systemd, imho.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.