just to say thanks

I can’t code. I can’t fix bugs but I increasingly rely on Syncthing 0.14 on 3 devices (FreeNAS, Redhat 7, Linux Mint) to sync my crucial personal and work data. I use the versioning and the Master model a lot.

I’m really mean with money and it takes a lot for me to donate an OpenSource project but I just donated.

Thanks and keep up the excellent work.

Andy

15 Likes

Same goes for me too, thanks.

2 Likes

Same here. Can’t code, can’t help but am very, very grateful for Syncthing! Don’t want to live without it anymore.

2 Likes

This is indeed an outstanding project. I thank the those who made it possible. I’m now an happy user and I’m recommending it to everyone. Software of the year for me.

2 Likes

Didn’t want to open a new topic so I just post on this old one, hope that’s okay.

I’m really impressed by Syncthing and I believe this is an awesome piece of software.

I discovered Syncthing in the middle of this year. At that point, I really needed a synchronisation between (at least) two devices. Over the past year(s) I had increasingly used multiple PC’s simultaneously and it was getting worse and worse to keep track of changed files.

In the beginning I used mostly USB sticks/drives to sync data. I rarely did this, maybe once per month. Later I switched to a network sync solution, but fully manual. Still, I often ended up having outdated data on one computer which was not a big problem, until someday I really needed a specific file on my Laptop while I was on vacation - but it just wasn’t there, it was at home and I had no way to get it.

So after that I deciced to get myself a proper automated file synchronisation. The question was how (at that point I didn’t even knew Syncthing existed).

I made a quick search for popular programs and compared their features with my requirements. Not a single one was sufficient for me. They were either lacking features I needed (for example keeping pre-existing folder structures, very high storage abilities at no/low cost…)

As I’m a programmer for myself, I decided: “When you need a good sync program, you got to write it for yourself”. And I began work on the project. To make it short, at some point I needed some “inspiration” for a proper protocol that detects changes and compares them, preferably accross 3+ devices and I thought: “Why not google if someone has done something similar in the past? Maybe you can find some ideas”.

And guess what I found? The Syncthing Block Exchange Protocol! After reading this for a good 15 minutes or so I thought: “You know what? This looks good. Let’s have a look what this program is capable of.” And so I got to install Syncthing.

The end of the story is that I have Syncthing installed on all my devices, have my own discovery and relay server setup as well as an “intermediate” server for mid-term saving of data (it’s basically a server that’s always online and can deliver files when the other device is offline - a great solution when I change data on PC 1, go to sleep, next day I turn my Laptop on at work and boom all my files are magically synced). SyncTrayzor is one of the most important programs in my tray bar. Syncthing is exactly what I needed: It is the only sync program that really meets all my requirements (I’m not easily satisfied, but Syncthing does everything I dreamed of - wish I would have discovered this earlier).

Sadly, I don’t have any experience in Go (and no time to learn it atm), so I can’t participate in the coding (for now). But that will not stop me from sending you a small christmas gift :slight_smile:

Props to everyone who contributed to this project and of course special thanks to Jakob Borg for this awesome program!

9 Likes

Same here and to the maintainers @calmh and @AudriusButkevicius, let us know what you need to keep on the good work, would it be money, testing or more sharing of stat data. I am sure many of us would be ready to respond if needed.

Many users are I believe happy with the current maturity of the project and only minor improvements and maintenance is what we need going forward. Hope this can carry on for the years forward as I don’t know how the project is financed (is the arigi project financing syncthing?) and whether the current maintainers plan to continue supporting it for long.

2 Likes

I want to say, you don’t have to be a developer to help. You can field questions, categorize feature requests, and help in all sorts of other ways. Just participating in the support forums helps the project.

2 Likes

Like the “1 year later” post above, I’m totally impressed with Syncthing.

Love the way it just works 99% of the time, unlike all the other solutions I’ve tried… it’s the best bar none. Of course nothing is 100% perfect, but let’s be honest most of the time user error and my stupidity is the issue, so you need to be persistent and patient with this stuff to succeed. Note I’m no linux expert, but I have been in IT for over 30 years and still learning…

If your’re doubting its capacity or abilities, I have 1363449folders 93891dirs ~20292GB being synced perfectly across 2 Synologies more than 1800 KMs apart…

Thanks to the devs and all of you have a great Christmas and New Year :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Another thanks here. :+1:

Been using Syncthing for about 2 months now, and after a brief look at Resilio, came back (after about 2 hours actually). I’ve just made a small donation today, sorry it isn’t more.

Happy Christmas and best wishes for 2018! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Thanks ! As linux mainly user, I tried to find a software solution to synchronize a lot of pc from a nas Qnap over internet. The obvious solution was resilio with a click to install and run on the nas. But I 've seen it was proprietary, and I don’t like that, refusing to depend on a private and closed system that could become expensive or locked at any time. So I discovered Syncthing, and struggle a while to find, get, install, configure it on my Qnap. Failing would have been a no-go to use it on the other computers. Now I try to make a portable multiplatform (win-nux) usb key version. The idea would be to spread this key iso to permit distant users to get into my shared folders as easily as possible. Linux part is running; I 've got to find a Win to try now. So I’m glad to have this nice tool and wish it a long and great life. Big thanks to the team :slight_smile:

2 Likes