Is there an easy way to change the ID of my device?

Is there an easy way to change the ID of my device?

Hello,

I want to change the syncthing ID of my device. Is there a quick and convenient way to do this? I already tried to uninstall Syncthing from Terminal but when I reinstalled I still got the same ID. Suggestions and advice?

Nar

You are aware that by changing your ID, you will loose all connections to other devices? I.e. all devices you were connected to will need to remove you’re old ID and accept the invitations from your new ID and all folder shares.

To change the ID, you simply have to delete the files key.pem and cert.pem in Syncthing’s config dir. Everything else can be left in place, a new key (and thus ID) will be created the next time Syncthing starts.

2 Likes

Hi Simon. BTW (I never checked this), is the API key replaced on first start after deleteing the .pem files?

1 Like

I don’t know for sure, but I assume not, as the API key is save in config.xml and as far as I know, is not linked to the main key/ID.

1 Like

To be sure I understand correctly : is the API key linked to the share (So 1 API key for each share) and the ID linked to the device ? Or is it more complicated (Do they interact ?) ? Thanks,

The API key has nothing to do with neither folder nor device IDs. It merely protects the API.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.