Is there a way to set up a master client one-way for name/location changes ?

I have a large media library I am constantly messing with adds/moves/deletes/renames/etc… I currently keep two copies one on my windows desktop and another on a Linux box. I use rsync to sync between the two, win to Linux. As a side note both these boxes host an Emby server using the “same” media local to them. The trouble with rsync is moves or renames you end up copying all those files in whole again. I was hoping to find a real time program that would keep track of these types of file changes and thus avoid the re-copying. You can imagine, say a tv show rename of a 100 episodes = 100 deletes and 100 re-writes , or a move from one top level folder to another, the same thing, Not-Watched to TV-shows for example.

I am unclear from my reading if this is something Syncthing can do ? One the master server setup with the win box being read only and NOT be affected by any changes on the other box (most the posts in here say not really, client files have to stay untouched ) , and more basically monitor files for name/location changes not just content/size changes, even though that happens also i.e download a different file and use same name deleting old ?

if I am unclear a simple example in my use … **folders: Folder:Video Folder:TV:files:empty Folder:Not-Watched:Folder:Sliders:Files:episodes(65) **after move: Folder:TV:Folder:Sliders:Files:episodes(65) Folder:Not-Watched:files:empty would Syncthing catch and do the move/rename or would it basically do the delete and recopy to sync the two machines folders ?

obviously the first scenario is a couple kbytes of net traffic and the second a couple 100 gig-bytes

It depends. Specifically it depends on the destination seeing the update for the new file and the update for the deleted file and matching them together into a rename. For that to happen the updates need to be sent reasonably close in time. That happens most reliably when the number of changes to send is smaller – think renames of a few files, rather than moving a top level directory containing thousands of files.