Is syncthing-android for 0.11 available for testing?

correct 12345678901234567890

Iā€™m trying your apk. Should I raise an issue when I see one? Or should I wait for Nutomics official app and raise only then?

Yes, please notify us asap:)

All the akps but the remote fail to install on my nexus 5. Version 0.11.1 Finishā€™s with the message was not installed, version 0.11.0 says parsing error right from the beginning. Am I missing something IR is anyone else having these issues?

You need to enable ā€˜Unknown Sourcesā€™ in the security menu because the APK is installed outside the google play store.

Ok, I didnā€™t made that clear. I already enabled ā€œunknown sourcesā€ it still does not work. 0.11.0 just seems broken right from the beginning, 0.11.1. trys to install but fails.

@Zillode I was hoping to wait 'til the official Android upgrade, but I needed an ASAP sync with some v0.11.1 devices, so I installed 0.11-2-arm on my phone. Hereā€™s some feedback:

(1) Although I did an export config from the older Android app, it was wiped out by the uninstall and upgrade. Import config returned ā€œcan not findā€. I must have missed a step!

(2) I did a manual configuration connecting devices and folders etc. And it Syncs perfectly!

(3) One bug I am experiencing - ā€œExitā€ from the Android app isnā€™t shutting down Syncthing. The pulldown notification says that itā€™s still running. If I go into the WebGUI and do ā€œshutdownā€ and then ā€œExitā€ from Android app, it closes.

Thank you.

I finally managed to install itā€¦ I had to uninstall the old version first

(1) Although I did an export config from the older Android app, it was wiped out by the uninstall and upgrade. Import config returned ā€œcan not findā€. I must have missed a step!

exporting the configs in the old version saved it directly to the internal storageā€¦ however the new version expects it to be in /backups/syncthing, connect your phone to a computer (or use a filebrowser on it) to move the files there and it will work

1 Like

Yep ā€¦ I found the 3 files backed up in the root of internal storage. This will come in handy next time. :smile: Thanks for the information.

Just as a reference, @NickPyz, hereā€™s the discussion that led to changing where the config files are exported to.

1 Like

@marcelpaulo Thank you for the link.

zillodeā€™s commit to send the exported files to backups/syncthing makes sense to me. Especially if that is the same folder that the Import function searches.

the 0.11.X versions will be compatible right? So I this apk should work with future minor upgrades of the desktop and raspberry app? I think for ordinary users its a no go if an upgrade breaks compability and there is no android update available within a short period of timeā€¦ downloading apk files from the internet is probably not what most people do.

I wonā€™t blame it on @Nutomic though, at least not until I have the skills to help developing new versions myself (probably never) Its pretty awesome to have a free and open source alternative to btsync available after all.

1 Like

I would say YES based on the way Syncthing has evolved. Itā€™s safe to assume that all devices having the 0.11.x version will sync with each other. This should probably apply until version 0.12.x (or maybe 1.0) is released.

The Android side of Syncthing comes with some complications. Some users are rooted - most of us are not. The differences in how file permission is managed are significant - and sometimes this delays the rollout.

When there is a new major Syncthing release and a delay in the official Android version - I typically wait until all the devices I use are supported before I upgrade.

2 Likes

I was not using syncthing long enough to notice it would take more than a few days for an upgrade when the 0.11.0 upgrade shiped. Also I had issues which, as I found out now, were not related to syncthing (but the way the raspberry mounted an external hd), however I hoped to solve these issues with an upgrade.

As mentioned by @NickPyz, Yes

Hello all & thanks @Zillode for these builds.

Iā€™ve been expecting the official update from @Nutomic (but I do know heā€™s trying his best to deliver), but differences were growing in my directories on different devices so Iā€™ve decided to jump in here.

My feedback : the 0.11.2 build installed but refused to launch (ā€œUnfortunately, Syncthing has stoppedā€), even after uninstalling the existing 0.5.28 version. So I tried 0.11.1 and it is quite smooth so far (30mn).

Will update upon any noticeable bug or event.

Thanks again & cheers :wink:

Could you provide a log for 0.11.2? It uses an experimental building process and Iā€™m interested why it crashes.

Ouchā€¦ TBH, I donā€™t know how to so (logs), but Iā€™ll check. Iā€™m also afraid it could have been compromised by a ā€œClean Master and rebootā€ session between the two installs (just to make sure all tmp files are gone and donā€™t interfereā€¦).

tried both 11.2 and 11.1. 11.2 crashes on first install, but then begins to work for me. 11.1 seems to have installed without a problem. Didnā€™t try anything hard on it yet through.

one small issue, when trying to reach the logs from menu, both versions crash. That might be me missing something obvious through, like not doing something that will enable logging etc.

using android 4.2, no root.

@zan please provide a logcat about the crashing log window so that we can fix this issue.