Is syncthing-android for 0.11 available for testing?

I tried the provided unofficial builds with 0.11.1 and 0.11.2 and eventually replaced the libsyncthing.so with the officially released 0.11.2 linux-arm binary. In all cases syncthing itself was working just fine on both, a rooted and a non-rooted Android 2.3 device. I think the CPU usage was reasonable, too. Without active gui, that is…

Unfortunately, the syncthing-android gui/wrapper however really wasn’t very stable. Things i noticed that really need to be fixed: (1) Exiting syncthing-android does not shutdown syncthing. The libsyncthing.so process just keeps running (and syncing). I think this is a very critical problem when you consider the potential impact on battery-life and data transfer limits.

(2) Sometimes, i think after adding devices and folders, syncthing-android tells that a restart is required, but no restart actually occurs. Opening the web interface will show the prompt to restart and only by using that the changes will take effect.

My advice for everyone who wants to use syncthing 0.11 on android now: Use the unofficial builds linked in this thread to install the app but then use the web interface to configure and control it.

1 Like

@mfya, how did you do that on a non-rooted Android device ?

Good summing up ! Although I do sorely miss the folder picker from the GUI.

EDIT: Perhaps off topic, @mfya, how do you get rid of the browser warning about the lack of certificate for localhost on the Android device ?

I’ve released a new version of the Silk client.

I replaced the libsyncthing.so in the syncthing-0.11-2-arm-release.apk file using WinRAR and resigned it using Easy Apk Dissassembler

I was using Firefox, which has an option to ignore the warning and add an exception right on the certificate warning page. After the initial warning the web interface can be used without problems.

This is great news!

Does it use inotify, @Zillode?

not yet

Both issues are fixed in version 0.11-3 of the ‘unofficial’ syncthing-android release: ARM and X86.

3 Likes

Thanks for the update, both problems seem to be gone. However, i think that there might exist the opposite problem: syncthing is killed but not restarted automatically. You have to manually exit and restart the syncthing-andriod app to get it running again. I’m not completely sure right now and i can’t view the logs because syncthing-android crashes when choosing the option. I will report back if it happens again now that syncthing is setup and no user interaction should be required anymore.

I’ll try it out. Thanks for the tip !

Oh, Firefox has a whitelist, didn’t know that. I’ve only tried Google Chrome and Dolphin, and none of them has.

Gonna try it, @Zillode, setting a low rescan interval on the folders. It has such a pleasing interface.

Hey, this might explain issue 363, why sometimes it happened, and then it looked as though it had stopped happening. I was just about to reopen the issue, but this might be the cause, so I’ll install 0.11-3 and try again.

@mfya, if you’re using any Debian-based Linux distribution (I’m using Xubuntu 15.04), you can:

1. USB-connect the Android device to your Linux device
  2. Install package android-tools-adb
  3. Run, on the Linux device, adb devices, so that the adb daemon is started and your Android device recognized
  4. Run, on the Linux device, adb logcat | grep -i syncthing | tee log. This will show you all syncthing-related messages and dump a copy into log.

That’s what I always do to capture logcats.

I have started to use this as well, for the .11 update.

So far so good, I had to resync a lot of stuff to my mobile devices but that’s no unexpected with the new way .11 hashes everything.

Only issue I have is some music wont sync to my phone, but I think that’s to do with non UTF-8 filenames. ITs been good so far, thanks :smiley:

@Toje what client are you using? If you are using syncthing-android I think we should release the current version to the play store. If @Nutomic (the actual, very good maintainer) is not online within 10 hours I will release the official one such that people have a streamlined Syncthing experience (I’m sorry @Nutomic , but we can fix the remaining?/new issues afterwards as well).

1 Like

I am using the one you provided earlier in the thread.

Could someone please test this build. I plan release this one to the Play store in about 9 hours, thanks.

(Testing an upgrade from 0.5.x to this build would be very nice!)

I’m not at home right now, but I’ll test it as soon as I get there.

1 Like

Ok, here’s what I did:

1. Uninstalled the silk client
  2. Installed 0.5.28 from F-Droid
  3. Imported config
  4. ST shutdown
  5. Installed your pre-release build
  6. 2 versions installed, both 0.5.28. Didn’t know which was which, so uninstalled both
  7. Reinstalled pre-release build
  8. Crashed after generating keys, and kept crashing
  9. Rebooted phone
  10. Started ST, imported config. It should have 1 device + 7 folders: none showed up
  11. Added 1 device: ST didn’t ask for restart nor showed device
  12. Opened Web GUI: device and folders showed up there.
  13. Restarted ST using Web GUI
  14. Defined phone on the laptop: connection was repeatedly reset. ST is 0.11.2 on Xubuntu laptop. Connection reset message from laptop log:
[TDRU4] 2015/05/05 20:17:22 connections.go:306: INFO: TLS handshake: read tcp [fe80::9268:c3ff:feba:d37a%eth0]:22000: connection reset by peer
[TDRU4] 2015/05/05 20:17:22 connections.go:306: INFO: TLS handshake: read tcp 192.168.25.5:22000: connection reset by peer

So I stopped here.

@Zillode

My upgrade path to version 0.11-6RC is a little different than @marcelpaulo, but in my case I now have a fully functioning installation. Here’s how I arrived here:

1. Started with the current official Android app - based on 0.10
  2. Uninstalled it, and moved to your 0.11-3 (which worked), and rebuilt my configuration since I lost the original one (my mistake).
  3. Did “Export Configuration” from 0.11-3 and closed it.
  4. Downloaded and installed 0.11-6RC on top of 0.11-3
  5. Waited for the new app to generate new keys (approx 2 minutes)
  6. Did “Import Configuration” to bring my previous settings in.
  7. Did app stop and then start, and it opened with my correct configuration.
  8. Both the Android app and the WebGUI look good. No errors.

So, @NickPyz, from your results and mine: the upgrade path works along the same branch (0.11 - > 0.11), fails when crossing branches (0.10 - > 0.11)

Will try to follow your upgrade path, and then take top readings for CPU usage.

Comparing our paths:

• (6) Shouldn’t 0.11-6RC pick up the current (0.11-3) config automatically ?
  • (7) I didn’t restart after import. Shouldn’t the app trigger a pending restart, like it does when a device ir folder is added? Right now it doesn’t, and caught me off guard.

Tried to follow @NickPyz’s upgrade path, but stumbled across: installing 0.11-6RC on top of 0.11-3 actually results in 2 installed instances:

• Updated #362 with top statistics for 0.11-6RC. The GUI seems to remain plagued by high CPU usage until the app migrates to the event interface (used by the silk client), as @Zillode concluded in #362.
  • Opened #386: App should ask for restart after importing configuration
  • Opened #387: Installing 0.11-6RC on top of 0.11-3 generates another installed ST instance

This is probably a bug in 0.5.28, so the upgrade path doesn’t apply to you.

This is normal (Syncthing v0.10 and v0.11 cannot connect)

No, the RC is a -debug version

It should, fixed.

New version being uploaded to Play store, thanks for testing.