Is syncthing a P2P app? Compliance with company rules

Hello!

I was informed that I can’t install any p2p software on my work computer. I’m using syncthing for obsidian sync. Is syncthing a p2p software? Does it fit this category?

Who knows? Is Teams p2p? iMessage?

1 Like

Yes, I do think Syncthing does fit in the P2P category. But, I highly doubt that they mean to rule out software like Syncthing, in the end you’re in complete control… Also p2p-software is a bit of a broad term, I have a gut-feeling that they actually mean to avoid torrenting clients and alike.

The best approach is just to ask the IT department or whoever is in charge of the relevant policies.

1 Like

It really depends on who you ask, because what is and isn’t P2P has changed over the past 40+ years.

Per Wikipedia:

Syncthing is a free, open-source peer-to-peer file synchronization application available for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, Solaris, Darwin, and BSD. It can sync files between devices on a local network, or between remote devices over the Internet […]

As someone who helps set the IT policies and guidelines at my workplace, I don’t see Syncthing in the same category as Napster, LimeWire, BitTorrent, Bitcoin, Ether and other similar apps because there aren’t random anonymous users/clients consuming a Syncthing node’s resources.

(On a related note, Windows 10/11 system update uses a peer-to-peer mechanism called Delivery Optimization. :smirk:)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.