Irreversible local additions ("The system cannot find the path specified")

This is the very first time that I have encountered this error. Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce this is in my test environment, however hard I try :confused:.

To sum up, there was a folder shared between Device A (SR) and Device B (RO). It had some contents ignored with exclusions using patterns, such as

!/folder1/*/folder2
(?d)/folder1/*

I removed the whole folder1 on Device A. Device B complained about “Local Additions”. I then cleared all ignore patterns on Device B. This ended up deleting the whole folder1 on Device B too.

However, Syncthing is still complaining about the “Local Additions”, even though the all files are physically gone together with the folder1. Trying to revert them leads to the following errors.

Revert: deleting folder1/folder2: removing item to be replaced: CreateFile folder1: The system cannot find the path specified.

The GUI is stuck in the following state.

Since I cannot reproduce the problem in my test environment, this is all I can present right now. Do you have any idea what could have caused this situation? I can add that I have not manipulated any files on Device B manually. Everything was done either through synchronisation or through the Web GUI.

Also, when trying to revert the local additions, Syncthing keeps complaining about their parent folder gone. Obviously, if the parent is no longer present, the children cannot be present either. However, it seems to keep trying to do something with the children, and then fails in the process.

Both sides run Syncthing v1.18.0 (custom built).

1 Like

I can’t tell you how you ended up there, but luckily the issue is clear without a reproducer: lib/model: Don't try to delete deleted item on revert by imsodin · Pull Request #7843 · syncthing/syncthing · GitHub

1 Like

Thank you for much :hugs:.

I’ve had some issues recently, e.g. this one, and also another, where files are seemingly stuck in sync, even though the folders are 100% synchronised in reality. All of them happen in folders, where I have those wildcard ignore/exclusion patterns, and I have a feeling that something must still be going on with those patterns, but when I try to recreate even the most funky configuration in my test setup, Syncthing always manages to somewhat recover with no such errors, so I’m kind of lost here.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.