iOS Port of Syncthing

Any news on the progress with the AppStore? I’m also keen to try this out.

5 Likes

sgilani, is there any news?
I so much would love Syncthing on my iOS device… :blush:

1 Like

Maybe you should try this:

fsync()

Hello!

There is currently no open ticket for an open source iOS Syncthing implementation. The old ticket was closed:

It is not even possible to vote for this on: https://www.bountysource.com/teams/syncthing/issues

Correct me if I’m wrong

There is fsync() alternative implementation which works on iOS with limited feature set.

I do not think we aim to port to syncthing to iOS any time soon, so having an issue which nobody is interested in addressing is not very useful.

An iOS port needs to be a separate project, written in Swift, for mobile from start, etc. It’s not something we can add as a commit on syncthing/syncthing.

The GUI is best written in Swift or objective C but the rest should be possible to include as a lib with GoMobile:

Have not looked on how Synchting handles platform specific code. That GUI is perhaps better located in another repo. You know best.

Still it would be nice to be able to vote for an open source solution. I am not an expert on BountySource. It would be nice to have the Syncthing iOS implementation under the Syncthing umbrella and for that there have to be an ticket in the Syncthing ticket trace… I guess.

I’ve reopened the issue, but I can’t find it on bountysource anyway. I guess it might show up at some point. When it does I’ll link to it from the github issue.

Hummm…

I thought that Source bounty scanned bug trackers quite often but the ticket has not popped up jet. I wait some more days and then I contact Source bounty.

Thanks for opening the ticket.

Speaking as a Syncthing user and a mobile developer:

IMO one should not try to run syncthing/syncthing on iOS even though it should be doable with gomobile. iOS is not designed to run a sync server, it’s a consumer device and it should be treated as such.

You won’t be able to run Syncthing consistently without being terminated by iOS, or exhausting resources. The main limitations being battery, memory, network and storage.

What would make more sense is an API consumer like Dropbox app, so you can view and upload files on demand. As a side note (not necessarily a bad thing), in that case you’d be entering the Owncloud/Nextcloud space.

On that consumer device point, how does iOS differ from Android? Syncthing is available for the latter…
My only grief against Syncthing is the lack of an iOS client to tap into my mesh and load files on demand.

Resources is an issue on mobile devices. But as krmathis is saying. The iOS case dose not differ much from the android case. And it is solved in Bittorrent Sync (Resilio Sync). Bittorrent Sync mobile devices use a sort of selective sync and not sync all data by default.

Apparently the issue has been up on Bounty source for some time now:

So I have successfully managed to put down some bounty money.

There has been very nice link to the bounty on the issue her at Syncthing since the issue was reopened. Sadly I just went to the Bounty Source home page and searched for the issue and it returned nothing. Apparently there is a bug with bounty sources search engine that hopeful will be fixed soon:

Shame that this hasn’t happened yet. That it’s taken two more years and still no port doesn’t look good. If Dropbox, Resilio Sync iOS apps can work (with Selective Sync?), then there’s no technical reason Syncthing shouldn’t be workable. It’s a shame, because Syncthing is much better than either of the others all-round. As i’m desperate for a working solution now, it’s going to have to be Resilio despite certain misgivings.

Understand where you are coming from and feel for you. Have same issue. Using Nextcloud to bridge gap works for now.

iOS support would still be awesome… :slight_smile:

Any word on when or whether this might be possible?

Before someone shows up that wants and can do it or that finds and hires someone to do it, nothing is going to happen.

Alright, thanks for the quick response.

So I’ll keep hoping but won’t wait for it :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

This has been an interesting thread to read.

Does the recent announcement of iPadOS make an iPadOS port of Syncthing more viable than it was previously for iOS?

Probably the best solution now: Möbius Sync + PhotoSync (for automatically moving media files). 5 $ + 6.5 $

Do not understand why Syncthing did not support iOS, already one man created Möbius, just a client and get 5$ for each user, we all use Syncthing for android, unix and windows for FREE.

Resilio Sync costs 99$ almost the same Syncthing, but with very good app, I am sure for good Syncthing app you will be able to ask users pay 20$ for installation and everybody will be happy.

PS I switched from Android to iOS and I missed only 2 things: Syncthing and two vibers on the same phone.

2 Likes