iOS Implementation

I would love to see an open source iOS Syncthing client in the future and I think many others would too. With new iOS features like Document Providers and Background App Refresh iOS devices have the capabilities they need to be a full-fledged Synching node.

I guess my question is, how much interest is out there? Are there any projects already in the works to accomplish this? I am an iOS developer and would love to be a part of making this but I don’t have the time to do it by myself.

4 Likes

Go 1.5 might include iOS support, which would probably make a port easier: http://dotgo.sourcegraph.com/post/99652962343/brad-fitzpatrick-on-the-future-of-the-go-programming

As a followup: it appears that @vhbit is working on an iOS client. Here is his post about it.

Together with some great people I’ve been working on a Syncthing library for iOS and OSX. It is far from ready, but if you’re interested the source can be found here: https://source.ind.ie/project/pulse-swift/tree/master

What news on an iOS port?

I’ve been actively watching the threads about that here and I recall someone posted that he/she was close to getting it running, but was still too shy to make it opensource just yet. I wish that would happen, cause I’d like to contribute… the @vhbit solution looked nice, but not specifying your own tracker server was an instant show-stopper for me.

Hi, I am new to Syncthing and am looking for a solution to sync that includes iOS. Is there any more work going on here?

Thank you,

Piet

1 Like

Here are two threads which may shed some light on your question:
iOS client: dare to beta test?
iOS Port of Syncthing

One day, hopefully. :pray:

1 Like

Contrary to others wanting syncthing on iOS… hehe i don’t… Let them(iOS software engineers) develop an alternative.

I stick to Andriod and windows…

1 Like

Me too, but I have a wife with iPhone (and i guess many are in the same boat)

So far the möbius app isn’t bad. It seems to work okay. The key is that it can only sync files in the files app. It would be better if there was better integration with things like Apple photos but so far not. Anyway jt works and for $5.00 it’s worth it for me.