Introducer vs. Pause folder

Hi,

I tried new “Pause All Folders” button. All my devices (except one - introducer) disappeared. That is little scary and unexpected. After clicking to “Resume All”, all hell breaks loose, with “Device X wants to share folder” all over the place. But everything is working and after a while all folders are shared with all right devices, but I have to either refresh page or click “Share” one by one to get rid of all these messages.

Unsuccessful debug:

Small setup: Folder E - Shared between I A B C (created on I, then shared to others) Folder F - Shared between I A B (created on I, then shared to others) Device I - introducer device (F shared with A B; E shared with A B C) Device A - actual device I’m on (E shared with I, B+C introduced by I; F shared with I, B introduced by I) Device B - other device (E shared with I, A+C introduced by I; F shared with I, A introduced by I) Device C - other device (E shared with I, A+B introduced by I)

From A’s perspective:

1. Pause E. All devices sharing this folder (I B C) are disconected.
  2. Devices I B C connecting back. When device I connects, E is unshared (unintroduced) from B C in A’s device list and since C now has no folders shared with A, it disappears from A. So A now has only I B in device list.
  3. Resume E. All devices sharing this folder (I) are disconected.
  4. Device I connecting back. When device I connects, E is shared (introduced) to B in A’s device list and C is added to this device list.
  5. All devices sharing this folder (I B) are disconected.
  6. Devices I B connecting back. No matter which one is connected first, everything works fine.

But:

When I have more folders (some paused, some running): I resume just one, I sometimes get one “Device X wants to share folder” for that folder from device other than introducer. I resume all remaining at once (by button), I get several “Device X wants to share folder” almost every time.

Is it a bug? Something I can do to help debug this?

Or is it expected? Something I can do to not run into this?

EDIT: Sometimes I get this on top of the page:

Syncthing version v0.14.24-rc1 on all devices (2x linux i386, 2x windows amd64)

chucic

Do you have a simple small and concise repro that we could try that does not involve 4 devices and 2 folders? It sounds like a display bug, especially the yellow bar above

Not yet. I think for running into this you need at least 3 devices anyway. I used fourth (device B) and second folder (F) to show that B stays in A’s device list because it shares folder F with A. But I wasn’t able to get “Device X wants to share folder” with this small setup. Will try again.

This is in console:

Which version are you using? IIRC the yellow bar was added to the GUI for dev/debug builds so JS errors are displayed without having to explicitly open the browsers JS console.

Latest rc, I forgot to mention it. OP edited.

Anyways, looking at the js error, it seems like a race condition, but nothing a ui refresh wouldn’t fix.

Yep, UI refresh fixes all, as I also mentioned in first post.

I noticed that I switched “actual” device in first post, I’m on A of course. I will fix this.

I wasn’t able to reliably reproduce this with just one folder. Now it seems that more often than “Device X wants to share folder” I got that js error. And even more often I got “Device X want’s to join.” I guess this is expected (when pausing folder leads to deleting device which shared that folder from my device list), but when I pause a folder, I don’t want to see this at all.

All this considered, I think this feature needs little more testing and polishing before distributing to more people, because when you don’t know that pausing folder leads to device removing from device list, it will scare the hell out of you.

What do you think?

I didn’t get this part. What do you mean?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.