including cloud storage

Hi,

I am syncing a directory across 4 devices but one of those devices is hardly ever online together with any of the others and unfortunately none of those devices is always so, so often I find that it does not have the most current version as it does not find any of the other devices to sync with.

So I was wondering is there a good way to bring some cloud storage (Dropbox, Google-drive etc) into the mix so that I would also sync the shared directory to the could where it would be always available.

Evidently I could periodically copy everything manually onto Dropbox or retrieve it from there but I am looking for a solution where I don’t have to remember to manually sync anything - what I am basically looking for is an “always on” extension to my syncthing-setup that would allow a device to be up to date all the time.

Does anyone have a tip on how to do that?

Many thanks!

Each peer must be running Syncthing, so storing files on Dropbox, Google Drive, pCloud, and/or some other cloud storage unfortunately won’t be of much help for your particular use case.

If your directory doesn’t require hundreds of gigabytes of storage, and subscribing to a hosting service is an option, a VPS (virtual private server) could be just a few dollars a month.

Alternatively, Raspberry Pi or other similar SBC acting as your Syncthing “hub” server should cost less than $100.

I haven’t tested this, but it just might work for you. There is a free trial from mountainduck.io. It lets you mount your cloud drive as a local disk drive. Your Google drive will simply be another drive letter with folders.

Do this on each computer that needs a particular folder available 24/7.

Give the trial a try.

Good luck.

rclone’s mount could do the trick as well, without any cost.

Just took a look at it on the web. rclone mount

Figuring out how to mount a windows drive letter to a Google Drive is a mystery to me the other program I’m referring to has a simple graphical user interface for windows and just works out of the box. Been using it for years.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.