"ignore patterns" don't work on my android phone!

Hi there! I’m experimenting with Syncthing for 2 weeks and I find this tool incredible! In our office, we are 3 architects and we are using Syncthing to share the project between 4 desktops (one acts like a “server”), 3 laptops, everything works as expected! Now we would like to expand the sync to our smartphone. This is our typical folder structure in our workflow:

Capture

From here, I’d like to see from my smartphone only [01] [02] [03] [06]. Inside [01] the structure is like this:

From here, I’m only interested in the folders with the “_Output” suffix. I tried a ignore patterns like this:

//schema da utilizzare per prevenire lo scaricamento dei file pesanti su Android
//cartella principale
**transition
**product_lists
**Minutes_of_meeting
**Collaborators
//cartella drawings
** dwg
**autocad
**illustrator
**indesign
**list
**lumion
**photoshop
**renders
**rhino
**sketchup
**texture

I copy and paste this syntax in the Android app, BEFORE sharing the folder with the smartphone, but seems like android completely ignores it. The same syntax, if used from PC to PC works perfectly… Am I missing something?

If your other machines are Windows or Mac, those use case insensitive pattern matching by default. Android does not, for whatever reason, so your pattern **indesign won’t match Drawings-InDesign. You’d need either (?i)*indesign (marker for case-insensitive, and one asterisk is enough) or *InDesign (correct casing).

My guess would be that the Android partition where the files are located may be formatted as EXT4. If that is the case, then the patterns will probably be treated as case sensitive, meaning that you should be using (?i)**autocad instead of just **autocad (or alternatively **AutoCAD).

Edit: @calmh was faster :wink:. In short, basically the same answer as the above unless your storage is formatted as FAT which doesn’t support case sensitivity.

FWIW, this specific thing isn’t related to the file system, it’s how we match strings against each other internally. So the Android filesystem won’t matter, what matters is that we only do case insensitivity by default for windows and darwin. Maybe android should be added to that list.

You’re right. I’ve just tested on a FAT partition under Android. The ignore patterns are case sensitive, although the filesystem itself still won’t allow two files with just a different case.

That’s perfectly fix the problem. Sorry, now I feel very dumb, the solution was easy! Thanks again!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.