How to find sync folder on NAS Synology?

My First day with Syncthing … Incredible I was able to get it working at the first hit …! (almost…) :grinning:

First, greetings to everyone!

I have read many guides but my topic is not found …

Looking at the Synchthing interface on my android device the synchronization is working!

Same thing looking at the Syncthing interface on my Synology DS 918+ NAS !

But I can’t find the "Folder Path: /volume1/@appdata/syncthing/Documents on the NAS and I don’t know where to look …

Obviously I used the search function on the NAS with no success …

Could you help me find the path where Syncthing synchronizes folders on the NAS or at least how to interpret @appdata ?

Cheers . . .

First of all, which SPK and DSM you are using? SPK from Safihre of SynoCommunity or from Kastelo, is from here. DSM 6, DSM 7?

Such path as /volume1/@appdata/syncthing/index-v0.14.0.db/ you find only in connection with the Safihre installation on DSM 7.

Thanks for getting back to me Andy.

In the meantime I found the solution on a youtube video: after creating a root in /homes/(/Syncthing/Folder/Folder…) and giving st-syncthing permissions to the parent folder, I replaced /volume1/@appdata/syncthing/ with /volume1/homes/Syncthing/Folder/Folder, then I adjusted a few other settings to my needs and everything worked (and is working) perfectly.

The information is there, it is even redundant, but finding it is not easy. Especially for a newbie . . .

I have DSM 7 and not Safihre.

Thanks for all . . .

DSM 7 is Synology related, Safihre is Syncthing package related. Doe you install Syncthing over package center or maybe manually?

Sorry for the obvious trivialities, shortcomings and inaccuracies in the requests and in the things said, but it is only since yesterday that I have been using Syncthing with success and satisfaction: I am not an expert …

I also had difficulties because the information is a lot and all in English, which I know little. However, after several hours between installation and refinements, everything works very well. Some doubts remain …

Answering your question, I easily installed Syncthing from the packages available in the “Community” group on Synology DSM 7.x

Even if I have installed only one package - which is active - if two are installed and very curiously, they are not visible in the list of installed applications !!! I wonder why …

Then there’s the million dollar question: Is Syncthing Safe?

As always, it depends. :slight_smile: It’s meant for personal and usually trusted collaboration and synchronization of files. So unless you use special options like “send-only” folders or “untrusted” devices, anyone who shares your folder has full power over your data. That includes copying and distributing all content and especially deleting all your files.

For outsiders, it is reasonably hard to access your data because all communications are encrypted and the process of sharing a folder is authenticated by mutually exchanging device IDs first and confirming that the folder should be shared with the other device on both ends. The Web GUI for setup and configuration is by default only accessible from your local computer, but e.g. other users on the same machine can connect and change your configuration. That part can be encrypted (HTTPS) and authenticated (username and password) as well if you need protection against such possible adversaries.

Regarding data “safety”, it detects any change to a file e.g. when the storage device fails and silently corrupts your data. However, such changes (damages) will just be synchronized to other nodes because Syncthing cannot know if it was a deliberate change. So the “good” copies on other Syncthing devices will also become corrupted. That’s one reason why we don’t advertise it as a backup solution.

For any other aspects of “safe”, feel free to ask more specifically :slight_smile:

Thanks for the security answer. It is reassuring.

The only concern is not that of accessing the hardware, but of the “capture” of the data stream, or, in other words, during the transfer of files between the two or more peers.

Do you know if you can use OpenVPN Connect for android?

Can you tell me - please - why, even if I have installed only one package - active - I find two installed? And why are they not visible in the list of installed applications? As shown in the picture?

Thanks . . .

No, I don’t know that. But I know it’s not really needed for securing Syncthing because all data traffic is already encrypted.

Where do you get the idea that two packages are installed? On my Synology, when searching for “syncthing” in the Package Center, it shows only the community one, which is also the one I have installed. I assume “installato” in Italian means it is already installed, and the package page says it is running. Looks all good to me.

One more thing to note: The Synology package by default will NOT restrict access to the Web GUI. You have to set up HTTPS and a password manually, as the big red warning banner will tell you when opening the GUI for the first time.

Strange… HTTPS and GUI password are the first things I configured after installation (as also proposed by Syncthing). In fact they are now both enabled. Consequently, it is abnormal that even after several restarts of the Web GUI the browser continues to warn me that the site is in http version and not https. I don’t understand what else to set to connect via https to the web GUI …

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.