How do I know I'm connecting through a relay, tor, and always using a relay?

1. I read that when using Tor, only outgoing communication is going through Tor, incoming communication isn’t and that is why a relay is used. I’m not sure I quite understand, can anyone elaborate on how and why? If that isn’t correct then HOW do we get incoming communication to go through Tor?

2. Following my previous question, if this is the case and a relay needs to be used, how do I always use a relay? syncthing -verbose shows that a relay is being used, is this all of the time or only when a connection is made? I could use some elaboration on this too.

3. I have syncthing route through a Tor proxy on localhost:9050. I receive this error: [6MVSS] 23:38:42 INFO: UPnP parse: Get : proxy: SOCKS5 proxy at 127.0.0.1:9050 failed to connect: general failure

4. I also have no option to disable UPNP. Is the the natEnabled setting? The documentation says “natEnabled Whether to attempt to perform an UPnP and NAT-PMP port mapping for incoming sync connections.”

1. Socks proxy does not support binding, so I don’t think it’s possible, unless you use tor at some lower adapter level. Relay is only used when a direct connection cannot be established between two parties.

2. You cannot force to use a relay, syncthing will try to connect in multiple ways, and drop down to more akward methods if it fails at the cost of throughput.

3. Probably because you cannot perform multicasts via a socks proxy, but you can probably just ignore it.

4. As the description says, that is the setting.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.