Help troubleshooting "pausing puller"

Hi, I’m really sorry to call on your time but one of my machines is refusing to get back in sync and I’ve spent a few hours trying to figure out why without much luck. I’ve found some bugs and forum posts that are similar but none have got me to the bottom of it. Many thanks for a great tool, and if you ever do any fund-raising count me in!

The logs on the affected machine show

[JT5YU] 00:47:39 INFO: Folder "downloads" isn't making progress. Pausing puller for 1m0s.
[JT5YU] 00:48:54 INFO: Folder "downloads" isn't making progress. Pausing puller for 1m0s.
[JT5YU] 00:50:16 INFO: Folder "downloads" isn't making progress. Pausing puller for 1m0s.
[JT5YU] 00:51:30 INFO: Folder "downloads" isn't making progress. Pausing puller for 1m0s.
[JT5YU] 00:52:46 INFO: Folder "downloads" isn't making progress. Pausing puller for 1m0s.
[JT5YU] 01:05:09 INFO: Folder "downloads" isn't making progress. Pausing puller for 1m0s.
[JT5YU] 01:05:28 INFO: Folder "downloads" isn't making progress. Pausing puller for 1m0s.
[JT5YU] 01:05:55 INFO: Folder "Documents" isn't making progress. Pausing puller for 1m0s.
[JT5YU] 01:06:48 INFO: Folder "downloads" isn't making progress. Pausing puller for 1m0s.
[JT5YU] 01:07:43 INFO: Folder "Documents" isn't making progress. Pausing puller for 1m0s.
[JT5YU] 01:08:08 INFO: Folder "downloads" isn't making progress. Pausing puller for 1m0s.

and they UI eventually shows “out of sync”

I tried adding STTRACE=model and I see lots of “taking shortcut on…” in a tight loop on a relatively small set of files, which maybe is a clue? I looked at the source but I don’t think that message points to the root, just what happens to be doing.

This issue seems closest puller: Stuck with INFO: Puller no such file or directory · Issue #1355 · syncthing/syncthing · GitHub but I’m not seeing “no such file” message so maybe it’s not the same.

I saw the closed PR for refactoring the puller, so maybe there’s work in progress that will fix this for me; but in the meantime I’ve got a wedged machine and I’m not sure how to fix it :frowning:

What other information would be useful? Or would you like me to leave you in peace so you can do the mentioned refactor? :slight_smile:

Thanks again. I’ve been running syncthing to keep all my machines (and phone) in sync for quite a long time now and it’s generally been fantastic. I’m eternally grateful for all your collective hard work.

You should actually post the whole log, and not just an excerpt which doesn’t have anything useful in it.

do you want any of the STTRACE flags turned on first? there’s not much to see in the main log. Also is there a more private way of sharing the full log? Not sure I want all my filenames exposed.

Well there are potentially more than one person that can help you on the forum, so sharing them publicly here is the best case.

Attached, a log with no debug flags set: stlog.txt (3.2 KB)

Fired up syncthing from the commandline, left it running until the web gui settled on “out of sync” for the “downloads” folder (much smaller than documents)

Right, now try getting one with STTRACE=model, as this one is not immensely useful

STTRACE=model log here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vmce7yu7ssaeia3/stlog-model.txt?dl=0 (105Mb text file warning!)

it’s on dropbox so I can take it down at a later date as it’s a bit revealing.

Is the other side still scanning? Whats the underlying filesystem? There might be some issue with setting modification times etc.

@calmh this one might be interesting. It seems we send off updates to the update channel, but then never potentially never commit them, or don’t get scheduled to commit them?

(Scheduled to take a look when I have a minute over)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.