GUI listen tcp 127.0.0.1:0: socket permission denied (v0.14.54)

I have installed debian jessie on my android phone* using Linux Deploy. Version v0.14.54 is deployed by apt and everything is working fine when I run it either as myself (user ‘android’) or as root.

But when I run it as a separate user ‘syncthing’ which I created as below in preparation to be run as an initd service , I get the following error:

android@localhost:~$ sudo -u syncthing syncthing -no-restart
[3MYC3] 11:27:01 INFO: syncthing v0.14.54 "Dysprosium Dragonfly" (go1.11.1 linux-arm) deb@build.syncthing.net 2018-12-05 11:18:45 UTC [noupgrade]
[3MYC3] 11:27:01 INFO: My ID: 3MYC3YM-6P75O4Z-OLZZ4ZH-KN2CL2S-W52VYW4-IXQ6TWG-OUB6BIN-JKMLPAQ
[3MYC3] 11:27:02 INFO: Single thread SHA256 performance is 11 MB/s using minio/sha256-simd (11 MB/s using crypto/sha256).
[3MYC3] 11:27:02 INFO: Default folder created and/or linked to new config
[3MYC3] 11:27:02 FATAL: get free port (GUI): listen tcp 127.0.0.1:0: socket: permission denied
adduser syncthing --shell=/bin/false --system --group --home=/home/syncthing

[*] it’s an old Samsung Galaxy GT-I9000 which I am repurposing as a headless linux server hooked up to an external HDD

We get a permission denied from the kernel when asking for a socket. As to why, it’s for you to figure out as it’s your exotic system.

Hi Audrius, thanks :slight_smile: I was hoping you would have some pointers as I have never seen anything like this. There is nothing on the internet either as people only complain about privileged ports.

I’ll do more digging and update if I manage to resolve it.

We try to get a socket on port 0 which usually means get a socket on any port. Perhaps your kernel assumes 0 is a priviledged port. Yet the fact that we are trying to get a socket on port 0 means we failed to get a socket on 8483 which is probably failing with the same error. It seems the user you created is not permitted network access.

You were right. User did not have network rights. For anyone trying the same, create the syncthing user and add do the following:

usermod -G aid_inet,aid_net_raw syncthing

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.