Frequent access denied error.

When a user deletes a folder, I get this error:

[PN3NA] 13:32:26 INFO: Puller (folder “Licitações” (hdzqy-uydzn), file “Documentos Amanda\SAÚDE\SOROCABA\SOROCABA”): delete dir: remove \?\C:\Users\ADM\Licitações\Documentos Amanda\SAÚDE\SOROCABA\SOROCABA: Acesso negado. [PN3NA] 13:32:26 INFO: Puller (folder “Licitações” (hdzqy-uydzn), file “Documentos Amanda\SAÚDE\SOROCABA”): delete dir: directory is not empty; files within are probably ignored on connected devices only

“Acesso negado” = access denied.

I see no reason for this to happen, at first I thought it was a previously reported bug of folders with customized icons (because that happened too), but I’m getting this error with normal folders.

It’s quite frequent.

This is coming from the OS, so the permissions are definitely wrong.

I’m not sure what to do, these are simple win10 installations with only one user each. The problematic folders are created inside the shared folders by the user himself, then when he deletes their own folders, that error occurs seemingly randomly.

I couldn’t replicate the error while testing but it happened with multiple machines.

Sure, but I am not sure how we can help you, as this is what the OS tells us.

If syncthing fails to delete the folder I assume rmdir via cmd would also fail.

You can look at detailed permissions (per user), perhaps there is something obvious there.

I talked with the users to find out the problematic behavior and I believe the problem is as follows:

User creates folder -> user copies many files to it -> user decides to delete the folder while the files inside are still syncing.

Sure, but that’s a temporary state that should get resolved over time. If it doesn’t, check if there are still files left there, which might be ignored or something, etc.

The only way I found out to remove the error message from Synctrayzor (and the "Syncing (95%, 0 B) bar from the receiving users) is to go to the folder creator computer, recreate the folders, wait for sync and then delete them.

It’s pretty much just a big annoyance, I was hoping to have a better solution.

Well see what’s inside the folder next time.

In the computer that created them, they are deleted by the user, so they are not there anymore. In the receiving computers that didn’t have enough time to sync, they are there but empty.

This last part (having empty folders) causes confusion to my users, so I guess it’s more than just an annoyance for me.

I don’t think they are empty. How do you know? They might have hidden files.

They don’t, I have hidden files visible.

But there’s more to it. I have automatic backups for everything that gets deleted from the server, when I look into the problematic folders, the backup shows files in them, some corrupt, probably because they were interrupted in the syncing process.

So, the behavior of syncthing after the user deletes the folder mid sync is:

back-up deleted files that made it to the server -> delete files from synced computers -> fails to delete the empty folder that was left behind -> sends error message.

syncthing repeatedly retries, so if the folder was deletable it would have been deleted.

I changed syncthing to “run as administrator” to see if it solves this issue. I ran into a problem though, now syncthing wont start automatically when windows loads.

It was working fine until I changed to run as administrator, this happened in several computers. Do you know how to resolve this?

When I use the startup folder in windows, synctrayzor will not start minimized as it does with the builtin start on login, even if I configure it to do so in the shortcut.

Is there a way to configure synctrayzor to “always start minimized” instead of only in the login? Because that would circumvent this problem.

you can add the command line parameter -minimized to your link in the autostart folder

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.