Force use of port 443 for relay

Hi there and sorry to ask… …but I can not figure out how to force the use of relay with port 443. Have looked through documentation and I understand bits of it and that it should be possible, but can not seem to get it to work. My problem is that it seems the router I am attached to (and can not configure) throttles the port 2XXXX heavily and the only good speeds I get is when the 2 servers randomly uses a relay with port 443 - the last good one was 66.198.127.125:443.

You can manually enter a relay, as both listen and device address. Or you can filter outgoing connects to port 22067 in your firewall/router, then Syncthing will try other relays until it finds one that connects. I can’t think of a way to easily filter it down to just port 443 ones.

Hi Jakob Thanx for getting back to me! That was somewhat what I have been trying, but I just can not get the syntax right… any chance of a more detailed guide on what to do? Would it have to be done on both servers? Cheers!

Hello @hfunder, welcome to Syncthing!
Did you check the docs? https://docs.syncthing.net/users/relaying.html
List of current relays: https://relays.syncthing.net/

yeah I have read those but as I said I just can not seem to get the syntax right. Tried putting the relay address in for the device but get realy id does not match. expected A but got B

You haven’t provided any details what you did, what address you set up, which field did you put the address in, what error message you got, just some vague sketches.

It’s really hard to provide help when we don’t have any details.

I am a bit surprised that there is not a guide for this seeing how complicated and versatile syncthing seems to be

but here is what has been done:

Server A has Device B as remote device Server B has Device A as remote device

On server A Device B has been set to use address relay://66.198.127.125:443/?id=B error: relay id does not match. expected B got C

On server B Device A has been set to use address relay://66.198.127.125:443/?id=A error: relay id does not match. expected A got C

The docs state that the id is relays device id, not your device id.

Relays also have ids so we can verify they are who they claim they are and there is no man in the middle.

I am not sure what guide is required, given it’s in the docs, but never the less, the docs are community maintained, so I am hoping you’ll create a pull request with a guide/clarifications of things that were not clear to you.

1 Like

thanx for your hints and tips

got it working by putting in

relay://66.198.127.125:443/?id=C

in both server A and B device addresses and Sync Protocol Listen Addresses

looking through the documentation is there a way to wildcard the ip and id part of the relay (seems to be available for direct connections), so to force only port 443 on relays - do not know how often the relay server i have chosen goes down or is shut down…

No

just a final update for anyone interested:

seems like it is sufficient to put the relay address in only the Sync Protocol Listen Addresses and not the devices adresses

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.