Folder Permission Experiment on Unraid

Hi,

My purpose is to be able to quickly modify some files in bulk on windows mapped network drive (“//UNRAID/syncthing_test”) but ran into permission problem.

I installed Syncthing on UNRAID (via docker container), a PC, and a Laptop. All latest version 1.5.0

I have created Unraid share (/mnt/user/syncthing_test) with “Public” permission. It is mapped to syncthing container “/sync/”.

I created TestByUnraid on UNRAID-Syncthing and it is populated to PC and laptop.

I created TestByMe under UNRAID user name “me” on Windows-Network (or map network drive) in path “//UNRAID/syncthing_test” and also added it to syncthing folder. The following screenshot is what I mean by “windows-network”

Syncthing_p2

At “/mnt/user/syncthing_test”, on UNRAID Terminal, ls -l

drwxrwxrwx 1 me users 6 May 6 18:12 TestByMe/

drwxr-xr-x 1 nobody users 23 May 6 18:14 TestByUnraid/

Now, I can modify anything in TestByMe, but got permission denied when I did the same to TestByUnraid from windows-network.

In contrast, I created a UNRAID share called test2, I can modify add and then modify files in it from windows-network even if its owner is “nobody”:

drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users 6 May 6 18:31 test2/

I now use “chown me TestByUnraid” change owner to:

drwxr-xr-x 1 me users 23 May 6 18:14 TestByUnraid/

But if I create a file on any of my actual device PC or laptop in folder “TestByUnraid” The file end up with owner “nobody”:

-rw-r–r-- 1 nobody users 24 May 6 18:45 TestByUnraid1.txt

which I have no permission to edit on windows-network.

I now check the “Copy Ownership From Parent” from advanced option in Syncthing for folder TestByUnraid Now it does seems to inherent permission from folder because folder’s own was changed to “me” manually. I created file TestByUnraid2 on laptop.

-rw-r–r-- 1 me users 0 May 6 19:00 TestByUnraid2.txt

When I create file directly on windows-network

-rw-rw-rw- 1 me users 0 May 6 19:13 TestByUnraid3.txt

It seems the permission is broader, both group owner "user and “world or everyone” has read/write permission. I can certainly change the entire syncthing_test from invisible to guest on UNRAID.

Now finally, I wonder if check the “Copy Ownership From Parent” from advanced option have any negative effect?

It does pretty much just what it says on the tin - it sets the owner and group of a thing to the same as the parent dir. I don’t know why that results in a different set of permissions. My suspicion is that the system actually uses ACLs or something under the hood.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.