Files Getting deleted (Even with "Recieve Only" Option)?

I basically just wanted to sync my Phone’s Camera Folder with the one on my PC. But i only want Syncthing to Send the new items and not receive the older from the pc or delete the ones that i delete from my phone. So i thought that “Folder Type” option being set to “Receive Only” would be thing but it apparently seems to also delete the files from my PC which i absolutely do not want. Thank fully i made a backup prior to doing this.

So i don’t understand what i am doing wrong. Please help me out on this one.

What you describe is transferring files, not synchronising a folder.

Syncthing is intended to keep the shared folders in sync so if you delete a file on one device it will be deleted on the others too.

It is possible to do what you want by using the advanced options on the receiving side and ignoreDelete but the maintainers really dislike the function.

A better option is to routinely copy the files out of the shared folder on the PC.

I use ST to sync my photos to a computer at home with the phone set as send only. I then use rsync to hardlink the photos to my main photos directory every hour.

It is possible to do what you want by using the advanced options on the receiving side and ignoreDelete.

How would i go about doing that? I also had set “Send Only” Option in my Phone.

A better option is to routinely copy the files out of the shared folder on the PC.

If i wanted to do just that then i could’ve just copied the media directly from my phone.

I use ST to sync my photos to a computer at home with the phone set as send only. I then use rsync to hardlink the photos to my main photos directory every hour.

That just creates more clutter and nuisance to deal with.

Please stop mentioning it.

People who want transfer software should use transfer software, we should not lure them onto the path that then leads to their own confusion and increased support load for us.

1 Like

Syncthing doesn’t do what you want. Receive only means receive deletions too.

Syncthing is not meant for “transfer from A to B and ignore what happens on either side”. It always tries to make both devices look the same, which is not what you want.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.