File exists -> folder path missing

I’m trying to share a folder: /home/username/Music/— Muziek/ These errors show in the console:

[S3WR3] 11:18:41 WARNING: Creating directory for "Audiotheek" (hnch3-dmkmn): mkdir /home/username/Music: file exists
[S3WR3] 11:18:41 WARNING: Creating folder marker: folder path missing

How do I fix this?

Ubuntu 17.10 64bit

Whats the path of the folder? Does the case in syncthing match the case on the filesystem?

The path of the folder is /home/username/Music/— Muziek/. The web GUI shows the correct path. The warning message however, says /home/username/Music which is not correct. Is that what you meant with case?

Error messages in the web GUI:

2018-06-10 11:26:44: Error on folder "Audiotheek" (kgetp-wh5yz): folder path missing
2018-06-10 11:33:41: Creating directory for "Audiotheek" (kgetp-wh5yz): mkdir /home/username/Music: file exists
2018-06-10 11:33:41: Creating folder marker: folder path missing
2018-06-10 11:33:41: Error on folder "Audiotheek" (kgetp-wh5yz): folder path missing

Is one of the path elements along the way a symlink or a file/virtual file? That’s what it feels like atleast.

2 Likes

Yes, the — Muziek/ is a symlink. Just searched around on this forum and it seems symlinks aren’t supported…

The files are on a HDD mounted in /mnt/. When I try to share this folder (/mnt/Data/username/Muziek/--- Muziek/) instead of the aforementioned symlink, I get:

[S3WR3] 12:08:26 WARNING: Creating directory for "Audiotheek" (dhk7d-hhpve): mkdir /mnt/Data: read-only file system
[S3WR3] 12:08:26 WARNING: Creating folder marker: folder path missing
[S3WR3] 12:08:26 INFO: Ready to synchronize "Audiotheek" (dhk7d-hhpve) (readwrite)
[S3WR3] 12:08:26 WARNING: Error on folder "Audiotheek" (dhk7d-hhpve): folder path missing

Which is strange because the HDD is not mounted read-only, I can create folders and files on it. Maybe this is a permission problem? The HDD partition is NTFS.

Again, maybe you are accessing something within /mnt/Data via a symlink, hence why you can write. This error we are getting is coming from the kernel.

Also, Muziek should be ok as a symlink (I think we do support symlinks at the root), but it seems it does not point to a valid directory.

Symlinks as part of the folder root path are allowed and should work. Your latest error is on /mnt/Data, i.e. it can’t find or create that path. You need to investigate that path and its parent (should it maybe be /mnt/data?).

Entering the folder path like "/home/borre/Music/--- Muziek/" (with quotation marks) kinda worked. The share is succesfully added but Syncthing thinks the folder contains 0 files and folders (it does contain files). Same for /mnt/Data path. Rescanning doesn’t help.

The only warning message I get is

Failed to lower process priority: set niceness: operation not permitted

@imsodin I double checked the path and it really is correct

edit: note I used the web GUI to create the share. On command line i’d expect that quotation marks are necessary when there’s a space in the path, but not in a GUI

Quotation marks would just create a folder called “/home/borre/Music/— Muziek/” at syncthings current working directory.

Reinstalled Syncthing and the issues are gone.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.