File download via url

hi guys! what about some feature like "https://whatever.com:12345/dl?file=whatever.pdf&folder=whatever&hash=gz7z8hi8z9he9fh3b4

would this be complicated to implement? :yum:

Itā€™s been discussed a few times, here and on Github. Itā€™s out of scope for Syncthing. Here are some links to get you started.

I know - I already installed pydio for that purpose but got some right problems :flushed: And honestly I donā€™t know why using a ā€œthirdā€ party tool, when using syncthing for up- & download and syncing :sunglasses:

I think Iā€™ve explained why a few times already in those threadsā€¦

To add some extra thoughts:

Syncthing can establish a connection so long as one of the parties can establish a connection to another. This means that one of the two devices can be completely inaccessible from the outside world (e.g. UPnP is unavailable, no port forwarding), and a connection can still be established.

A direct file download will require that a connection to the machine hosting the download can be established, which is less of a sure thing. You might have a situation where two devices can successfully synchronise, but you canā€™t download from one of them: thatā€™s going to confuse people. Dropbox gets away with it because itā€™s centralised: thereā€™s always an online central server. Syncthing doesnā€™t have that luxury (by design).

Similarly, Syncthing copes with devices going offline, and thatā€™s fine. A direct file download wonā€™t cope.

Now, the more Syncthing-esque way to do this would be to have folders (or individual files within folders) that can be shared (i.e. synced to Syncthing devices) without explicit permission being given: just having a magic number is enough. BTSync allows this. There have been discussions on this in the past: dig through the forums or github issues.

1 Like