File dates modified after sync

Hello, new user here so please excuse me if this is a silly question!

I have set up a RPi with OMV and Syncthing and used it to back up the files on my laptop (i.e. the laptop folders are Send Only and the remote folders are Receive Only).

Having successfully synced the folders I note that the Created, Modified and Accessed dates of the backed up files have all been changed to the date they were synced.

Is this normal, if not how do I ensure that the original dates are retained?

Thanks,

Mike

Apologies, please ignore. I reinstalled the software and created new folders and now it’s working. Not sure what I did wrong the first time!

Mike

Just a side note, but Send Only → Receive Only isn’t really a backup. If you delete a file on the sending side, the deletion will be synced to the other side as well. It can play a role of a simple backup if you enable file versioning, but there was nothing about it in the original post.

Thanks for the heads up, I have a lot to learn! What type of Versioning do I need - Simple?

Mike

It depends on your preference :slightly_smiling_face:. You can read up on different types of versioning at https://docs.syncthing.net/users/versioning.html. I personally like staggered.

Thanks again, I’ll do that.

Mike

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.