Feature request: Clearer conflict notifications

Hi,

I’d like a way for Syncthing to signal more clearly that there have been sync conflicts. It’s happened to me a couple of times now that I’ve ended up with 4 or 5 versions of the same file in sync conflict. So far it hasn’t caused me any real problems, so it’s not a big problem, but I would like to keep my folders clean. Even just a UI notification that says “sync conflicts in folder” or something the same way that it says “out of date” now would be great. Bonus points if it would tell me which ones they are!

I’ve done my best to look around for something like this, but haven’t found any options or topics on it. Feel free to just redirect me if I’ve missed something! Thanks everyone

2 Likes

You can disable storing conflict files, as explained in the docs.

We don’t have any notifications for them as we don’t really support resolution of them.

To us, the conflict file is “just another file” so there is no easy way to notify about them.

1 Like

The recommended wrapper application for Windows, “SyncTrayzor”, has such a functionality built in. I think there someone once posted some script to detect (and resolve?) conflicts here on the forum - a search might bring them up.

There’s nothing fundamental stopping anyone from adding such functionality to the web UI or creating a small companion application that provides that functionality - all the pieces to get there should be available. It’s just that noone has done so.

Conflict resolution is - in general - up to the file owner and cannot be done automatically by any kind of a tool.

But conflict notification can be an important issue, since it deals with loss of information, if omitted. If the file owner gets informed of an conflict very late, resolution becomes more and more difficult even for the owner. So an immediate (email)-notification would be helpful here.

3 Likes