Excluded folders syncing over but with empty contents, anything wrong with my .stignore?

I have a sync partnership between two devices, A and B, or perhaps A to B.

A is read only and its .stignore set up to sync specific subfolders to B, ignoring the rest, like so

//DON'T ignore the following dirs (i.e. DO sync them):
!/Sync_1
!/Sync_2
!/Sync_3

// Ignore all the rest
*        <---- (e.g. Sync_4, Sync_5, etc)

On device B, I can see Sync_1, Sync_2, and Sync_3. But I also see folders that I thought I excluded with *, Sync_4, Sync_5, Sync_6 etc, along with their subfolders, however they are empty of files.

What I want: to only see Sync_1, Sync_2, Sync_3 on device B.

Do I need to set up a corresponding .stignore on Device B, like so

//DON'T ignore the following dirs (i.e. DO sync them):
!/Sync_1
!/Sync_2
!/Sync_3

// Ignore all the rest
(?d)*   <-------delete everything else

Added note, possibly related to the above problem: On device A, I now delete Sync_4, Sync_5, and Sync_6. But they remain on device B (as empty directory trees)

Your first ignore patterns are fine, (?d) is about something else. Are you sure Syncthing created those directories on B after you set up the ignore patterns? Or differently: If you delete these dirs on B, do they get created again?

That’s expected: As you ignore those directories on A, any changes (including deletes) are not picked up and thus not sent to B.

Hi Simon, thank you for taking the time to respond. I have just removed the sync partnership from device B and re-added it, and this time only my specified folders sync over, so the problem appears to be solved.

I believe this was a one-off issue. While syncing the first time, I noticed that on one of the devices (unfortunately I forgot which), the initial scan would increase the number of files in “Local State”, which would then drop and increase/decrease over and over until it reached the final size. Additionally, device B was an Android device that was low on storage, and when the storage was full Syncthing would crash. Only when I cleared up storage did the sync resume.

At the same time, device A’s syncthing also crashed a few times, perhaps something linked with device B.

After the sync was complete, (having freed up storage on device B), the problem as I described surfaced, 1) with empty non-excluded folders showing up, and 2) when deleted on device A, remaining on device B.

Now with a successful removing and re-adding the partnership on device B (and making sure there was enough storage to complete the sync), “Sync_4” and other excluded folders weren’t synced in the first place. So the first problem is gone. I can’t reproduce your suggestion of deleting folders on device B now, since they never appear, and so there is nothing to delete.

I guess this must have been an edge case, perhaps caused by the Android receiving device being full during the initial sync and triggering these problems.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.