Excessive network usage in Syncthing 1.19.2

Hi there,

I can’t quite figure out why Syncthing is using so much bandwidth. Perhaps you can help me. I have an UnRAID server, and when I pause the Syncthing docker, network usage is essentially zero. Then when I start the server, network usage sustains download at about 500Kbps. This is unexpected to me, as I set the incoming rate limit to 50 KiB/s.

Is there any way to see what is using so much bandwidth on Syncthing? Last month, this caused my server to use more than the 2TB of data allowance my ISP provides me. This is why I set the incoming rate limit so low. Thank you in advance for any support!!

FYI. Here are some recent logs.

2022-04-18 22:54:59 My ID: 4BMU7PB-MGYDGPC-ACPZWHA-UM2CFTN-WNF7S6U-N2CS3K6-ANYFHUJ-X6E7MA7 2022-04-18 22:55:00 Single thread SHA256 performance is 339 MB/s using minio/sha256-simd (339 MB/s using crypto/sha256). 2022-04-18 22:55:00 Hashing performance is 283.54 MB/s 2022-04-18 22:55:00 Overall send rate is unlimited, receive rate limit is 50 KiB/s 2022-04-18 22:55:00 Rate limits do not apply to LAN connections 2022-04-18 22:55:00 Using discovery mechanism: global discovery server https://discovery.syncthing.net/v2/?noannounce&id=LYXKCHX-VI3NYZR-ALCJBHF-WMZYSPK-QG6QJA3-MPFYMSO-U56GTUK-NA2MIAW 2022-04-18 22:55:00 Using discovery mechanism: global discovery server https://discovery-v4.syncthing.net/v2/?nolookup&id=LYXKCHX-VI3NYZR-ALCJBHF-WMZYSPK-QG6QJA3-MPFYMSO-U56GTUK-NA2MIAW 2022-04-18 22:55:00 Using discovery mechanism: global discovery server https://discovery-v6.syncthing.net/v2/?nolookup&id=LYXKCHX-VI3NYZR-ALCJBHF-WMZYSPK-QG6QJA3-MPFYMSO-U56GTUK-NA2MIAW 2022-04-18 22:55:00 Using discovery mechanism: IPv4 local broadcast discovery on port 21027 2022-04-18 22:55:00 Using discovery mechanism: IPv6 local multicast discovery on address [ff12::8384]:21027 2022-04-18 22:55:00 … 2022-04-18 22:55:00 TCP listener ([::]:22000) starting 2022-04-18 22:55:00 Relay listener (dynamic+https://relays.Syncthing.net/endpoint) starting 2022-04-18 22:55:00 Ready to synchronize “Media” (wq76k-9ztfj) (receiveonly) 2022-04-18 22:55:00 QUIC listener ([::]:22000) starting 2022-04-18 22:55:00 GUI and API listening on [::]:8384 2022-04-18 22:55:00 Access the GUI via the following URL: 2022-04-18 22:55:00 My name is “9 Arrowhead” 2022-04-18 22:55:00 Device DXJYZRX-LNU5C22-IDE64DR-QPQMV6Y-FAJ7CH6-AVIJQSE-D7ESVCI-HVHCEQJ is “3 Hyde St” at [dynamic] 2022-04-18 22:55:11 Established secure connection to DXJYZRX-LNU5C22-IDE64DR-QPQMV6Y-FAJ7CH6-AVIJQSE-D7ESVCI-HVHCEQJ at 2022-04-18 22:55:11 Device DXJYZRX-LNU5C22-IDE64DR-QPQMV6Y-FAJ7CH6-AVIJQSE-D7ESVCI-HVHCEQJ client is “Syncthing v1.18.1” named “3 Hyde” at 2022-04-18 22:55:14 Detected 1 NAT service 2022-04-18 22:55:16 Completed initial scan of receiveonly folder “Media” (wq76k-9ztfj) 2022-04-18 22:55:20 quic:// detected NAT type: Port restricted NAT 2022-04-18 22:55:20 quic:// resolved external address quic:// (via stun.syncthing.net:3478) 2022-04-18 22:56:05 Joined relay relay://

These two numbers are the same. 500 Kbps is 500 kilobits per second which is roughly 50 KiB/s (50 Kibibytes per second).

1 Like

Hmmm… so I really am that dumb. LOL. Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.