Editing a text document fills it with random characters on other devices

I just discovered Synchthing and tried setting up a basic system to test. I created a folder on my desktop machine with an empty text file in it and synced it to my phone - worked without a problem.

Then I opened that text document on my phone and added some text, saved, closed. This is where the problem occurred. Once the document synced back to my desktop, when I open it on that machine, the text document is just filled with 12kb of random characters. The only readable text in the entire thing is on the first line, where “[Content_Types.xml]” can be read among the rest of the random characters.

The interesting thing is that the document opens fine on my phone still, and I can read the text I added without issue.

That appears to be a thing in OpenOffice XML documents. Probably the software on the phone changed the document format from text to docx.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.