Does the Android app synchronize symbolic links?

Hello everyone… stupid question possibly but I tried searching the forum for ‘android links’ and no luck.

I have one symbolic link in my default directory. It gets shared allright between my computers but on my Android phone I get ‘out of sync item / failed item’. Am I missing something or the app doesn’t like symbolic links??

Many thanks to all.

Check what the error is in the web ui, I suspect the underlying filesystem does not support it.

Thanks a million,

in the web UI, screen ‘Failed items’, it says: ‘symlink {path}: permission denied’. Does it mean my phone is not using ext4 but something else?

EDIT My phone’s mountpoints (I hope this data is reliable):

$ mount […] /dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/system on /system type ext4 (ro,seclabel,relatime,data=ordered) […] tmpfs on /storage type tmpfs (rw,seclabel,relatime,size=956728k,nr_inodes=239182,mode=755,gid=1000) /dev/fuse on /storage/emulated type fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,user_id=1023,group_id=1023,default_permissions,allow_other)

It might be using ext4, but android kernel is so bastardized that half of the things simply do not work such as simply writing to sd card without going through the android api’s, changing mtimes of files, and now potentially creating symlinks,

1 Like

I think the underlying FS is usually FAT on Android. “Permission denied” is an unusual error under the circumstances, but I’m sure it’s a safe bet to interpret it as “no symlinks for you!”.

Thanks for your replies guys. And thanks for your work on this wonderful piece of software.

So I guess I am stuck here… another reason to look forward to Ubuntu phones or anything GNU based… :stuck_out_tongue: :frowning:

FAT is only used on SD cards which are formatted for “removability” (afaik). Internal storage and SD cards formatted as adoptable storage are ext4 (sometimes f2fs).

1 Like