Does it not sync sym-links?

In this topic it’s claimed that it does. However, I’ve added a sym-link to a file into a shared directory and it didn’t get synced.

So does it or not?

Meaning, in this topic It ignores my soft sym link

What things are synced?

• Symbolic links (synced, except on Windows, but never followed)

(FAQ — Syncthing documentation)

I’m on Linux, a sym link to a file was created on it too. However, it hasn’t synced it with an Android device. Or do you mean, it can be synced exclusively on Linux?

“synced, not followed” – what’s the point of syncing a sym-link without following it?

I don’t think android supports/allows symlinks.

The OS does but the internal storage partitions use FAT which on the other hand does not :wink:.

“what’s the point of syncing a sym-link without following it?”

That would mean that the link is created on the destination, and assuming that the file it points to is already present (e.g if it has also been synced), then everything will behave just like on the source system.

“Following it” would mean that instead of creating a symlink on the other side, a copy of the linked file would be created. There are software that does that (you can get rsync to to it for example), but it is not the Syncthing way of doing things.

1 Like

I still haven’t gotten it. @roseen

I want to: create a sym link “s1” on machine A. “s1” will be created in a Syncthing shared directory. A file it points to will be in, let’s say, ~/Documents/my_personal_dir/f1.txt.

And I’ll be working with ~/Documents/my_personal_dir/f1.txt

I’d want to: on machine “B” I’d get the actual content of ~/Documents/my_personal_dir/f1.txt via “s1”

Currently: apparently, “s1” itself. Not its content.

Correct?

That is correct. Getting the content is called “following” a symlink. Syncthing doesn’t do that.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.