Documentation and issue tracker

I see that there are quite a few issues reported to the issue tracker, and then closed because they should first have been discussed in the forum so that the developers can verify that there is actually a bug.

I’ve also noticed that one of the very first things stated at the top of the forum page is that one should “file bugs directly in the issue tracker” – to me this sounds like “don’t start discussing bugs here, please go directly to the tracker”. Of course this might only refer to definite bugs, but I don’t think this distinction would be clear to all users. Maybe clarifying this could help?

Also, the SyncThing documentation at https://docs.syncthing.net/ discusses the issue tracker before it mentions the forum. Maybe switching the order could also help a bit? And explicitly stating the rules there as well (the distinction between reporting definite bugs in the tracker and “what you think is a bug” in the forum)?

In any case, thanks for a great piece of software!

The docs are maintained by the community, so feel free to improve.

I’d welcome suggested improvements here.

I’ve removed this part above. I think it’s historical, and indeed we do prefer that people start their investigation in the forum and we don’t want to give the impression of referring people from one place to the other in a circle…

1 Like