Do we still need i386 (32-bit) Windows build?

Are there any stats on how many downloads there are for the 32-bit Windows build?

Currently Syncthing Windows Setup supports it, and we can continue that for now, but at some point I would assume that Go is going to drop support for 32-bit Windows?

Just wondering…

This surely doesn’t tell the whole truth, but it’s the third most popular download on GitHub, e.g. see the stats for v2.1.6 below.

I’d assume Windows x86 is still way more common when it comes to sheer numbers than the other, much more exotic architectures that Go supports.

On a side note, the last version of Windows x86 (LTSC 2019) that is still supported by Microsoft is going EOL in year 2029. (Edit: There is also an x86 version of LTSC 2021 but that one is going to lose support next year.

0.5% of the population

0.5% of the population

Interesting. I am wondering how many of those downloads are from folks that really should be downloading the amd64 build (or running the installer)–that would presumably be tricky to determine. I would guess that the percentage of downloads for i386 dropped once the installer became available.

Presumably Go will drop support for i386 at some point…

Yeah, some users may simply not know the difference, so they download the i386 version by mistake and just keep it running like that. :sweat_smile:

On the other hand, I work in education and personally have seen many Windows x86 machines, with the main reason being that they had only 4 GB or even 2 GB RAM, meaning that 32-bit Windows simply ran better on them. Many of those are still in use, e.g. my classroom computer was only upgraded last month from an old Windows 7 machine to a “new” Windows 10 PC (which is still an old 7th gen Intel system…).

1 Like