Do relays support IPv6

I cant help but notice that while at home on my network, where every device has an IPv6 static or SLAAC address, Syncthing transmits over an IPv6 connection. (And BTW, thank you for building this in. It should come in handy in the future of carrier grade NAT and dual stack lite games that ISP’s will inevitably play on their customers as they run out of IPv4 addresses.)

Also since, like most businesses here in America, IPv6 is about as common as unicorns that fart rainbows, I can’t find a network to test with against my fully IPv6 compliant firewall and network at home. And yeah I know i can use a teredo or HE/SixXS tunnel but that’s a pain in the ___ and not worth setting up just to test.

So my question is this: would a relay I setup at my house work over IPv6 as well as IPv4?

I have run a relay already and it works fine over IPv4 (but can’t leave it up 24/7 since Comcast is now imposing 300GB/month quotas on us :frowning: starting last month).

There’s nothing technical that would make an IPv6 relay not work, but the relay pool server is currently IPv4 only. If you set up a relay on IPv6 and pointed your clients to it, it should work fine.

Although hopefully you would not need a relay on IPv6 as NAT isn’t prevalent there and firewalls can be adjusted.

Although hopefully you would not need a relay on IPv6 as NAT isn’t prevalent there and firewalls can be adjusted.

Hmm that’s true, I dunno why I didn’t think about that. IPv6 kinda makes relays irrelevant anyway just like NAT’s. Ok NM then. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.