Disabling FSync inside a receive only folder is safer than disabling it inside a send/receive folder?

I have various folders set up in send only mode shared to another system with the same folders in receive only mode. I’ve read that disabling FSync can help speeding up file transfers but can be more dangerous in the case of file corruption. In the case of send and receive only folders the same still applies? Because I was thinking that issues on the receiving side should automatically be fixed when the next sync occurs

It’s safer in terms of the damage cannot propagate back, but there are no guarantees that the damage can be detected, in theory you might still end up with a file with a ton of null/zero bytes and simply not know it (as the size and timestamps match).

Ah ok, I was thinking of disabling FSync to speed up the first sync and enable it afterwards, but if there are damaged files resulting from the first copy there’s no way of knowing if they are damaged or not even if I reenable FSync I guess

In theory, fsync is mostly to protect from machine and application crashes. If neither of those happens, you can be fairly certain it’s going to be ok.

If you are on linux, you can run sync command afterwards to be sure. There is probably something equivalent on windows that you could run externally.