Device A doesn't replicate deletions executed on device B

Device A

Device B

Sorry for the multiple posts.

I think I realized what is going on. Right now I just pressed the button “override changes” and files have been deletes. But unless I press that button, the deletions didn’t occurr. Why is that?

EDIT: in the cluster, there are only the two devices. These is a third device connected only to Device B, but regardless to the presence of this device the problem still exist.

So it’s not clear which of your devices is a master and where you are deleting files.

I’m sorry for the confusion. The master device is Device B, i make deletions on it but they’re not reproduced on device A.

Does A use some sort of network filesystem or perhaps FAT32 for storage?

It’s a truecrypt volume which I’m not sure how is formatted. Let me try to check (it could be NTFS ot ext4).

That’s probably the key here

Stupid truecrypt. I will try to figure out what filesystem is in use in that drive and post it here for other people with the same issue.

I really appreciate your help, thank you.

I don’t know for sure that it’s TrueCrypt: my comment was based off gut instinct.

I’m betting it’s a FAT filesystem anyway.

Also, search for truecrypt in the forms, there are a few options you need to tweak to make it work.

He isn’t synchronizing a TrueCrypt volume, he’s synchronizing into a mounted TrueCrypt volume (as I understand it). I haven’t seen that pop up on the forums yet.

You are right canton7.

Well, I have some news. I just realized that the encrypted drive is NTFS. It can’t be FAT32 because I am able to store files larger than 4GB. Do you think that this might be the issue? If yes, why everything works fine (that is, deletions executed on Device A are replicated on Device B) when I press the button “Override Changes”?

What happens, A adds files, B receives the file, somehow modifies it*, and tells A about the now new file. Because A is master it refuses it, hence deleting on A simply conflicts with new version on B, and B ends up keeping it.

Modifies it can mean:

1. Different content
  2. Different modification timestamp (or resolution of the timestamp, for example linux supports floats for seconds, maybe truecrypt rounds it up to an integer essentially making it different)
  3. Different permissions

That’s a very clear explanation and makes perfectly sense. It is very likely that it’s truecrypt’s fault. I will try first to create a truecrypt volume with ext4 filesystem, and see if it works. If it doesn’t I’ll try with other encryption softwares.

Thank you very much for your help.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.