Current Allway sync user - looking for transition advice

Hey everyone, I’ve looked through the documentation, faqs and played around with the application but unfortunately can’t find how to do what I’m looking for. Any help would be appreciated.

So I’m currently an allway sync user and looking to move to another application as that is only supported on Windows. My current use case is I have various files on my desktop such as documents, pictures, videos, music, utilities, etc and I have allway set up to automatically sync with the drive that’s plugged into my router (Asus N66U) which is shared over the network. I also have it installed on my laptop, which syncs a subset of those files (only documents and utils). This all works really well as if a file is changed on 1 machine, it’ll automatically sync to any other, via the router drive, with the router drive acting as a backup. These are all set to check every hour or so.

For a very small number of files (the critical ones such as docs and pictures), I also have my desktop set to sync to an Azure file store (I have an Azure sub through work) as an offsite backup. This is done once per day.

I’m looking to having a reorganisation of my data, as the HDD in my desktop is running out of space, so am looking at getting a larger one and moving the larger stuff like vids, music, pics, etc to that and putting it on a nas, keeping only an SSD in my desktop, containing only the small and core stuff like Windows, installs, docs and utils.

What I’d want from syncthing is to have that device stuff like docs to sync to the router drive as normal, then have a raspberry pi or similar low power always on device to sync the nas data (pics, music, vids) to the router drive, as well as everything to azure. So it’s as I have it currently, but with a bit of a rejig to remove the need to have allway on my desktop doing so much and maybe even getting rid of allway completely.

Syncthing needs to be running on every machine you want to sync. So in your case: Desktop, Laptop, NAS, Azure VM, Router.

Syncthing can run on most good NAS Boxes (community package for Synonlogy, QNAP) and is being used on some Routers as well (not by me though).

What you describe in your last paragraph can be done with Syncthing.

Thanks for that, it seemed like it has to be run on each device but wasn’t sure. I’m looking at an external caddy at the moment that’ll plug straight into my router as the Asus N66U supports file sharing and Azure is a file store not a VM, so would have to look into those options as I’d have to install it on the router and think about Azure options.

No idea about azure, but I assume you can mount it locally - so you can sync it like “normal” storage. However that’s probably not very efficient. As Azure is meant as a backup, I’d advice to use a dedicated backup program for Azure, e.g. from your rpi.

Good point, that’s exactly what I do at the moment with Allway Sync anyway. I have a mapped network drive in Windows 10, which points to the Azure file store. Certainly something I could look into how to mount in linux.

It sounds like I can just install syncthing on my router anyway via entware, so will look into that as I want to setup mysql for Kodi anyway (that’s currently on my desktop so want to move that to a central location, be it the router or something like a Pi) and sounds like it’s done in the same way.

For that to work with Syncthing, you would need two Syncthings on your Windows 10. One for the files on the PC and one for the files on Azure. Even though both are running on the same PC, Syncthing would use TCP and encryption to transfer the data locally.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.