Cron Job Error Question

For the past two days, I am getting this message from my cron job after doing and apt-get update and an apt-get upgrade. I’m running Debian 7 on a VPS.

initctl: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket

This error message is also showing up after doing the update and upgrade commands.

2016-07-28 11:46:14: Automatic upgrade: open /usr/local/bin/syncthing264097453: permission denied

The message immediately above shows up when I launch my Syncthing client on a Windows machine. It’s as though my permissions have been changed without my explicit input.

drwxrwsr-x 2 root staff 4096 May 26 13:37 bin

Here are the contents of usr/local/bin:

drwxrwsr-x 2 root staff 4096 May 26 13:37 . drwxrwsr-x 11 root staff 4096 May 14 2014 … -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 24994 Feb 26 17:23 speedtest-cli -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 15785809 May 26 13:37 syncthing

Here’s the entire message returned from my cron job:

/etc/cron.daily/logrotate: initctl: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket +/com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused initctl: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket +/com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused initctl: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket +/com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused

Any ideas on how to resolve this issue.

The Upstart logs/errors have nothing todo with syncthing.

The permission denied error from syncthing is somewhat obvious. You are running syncthing as non-root, and the binary/directory where it’s trying to download the file is owned by root.

How do I turn off this downloading job?

This is automatic upgrades, you can switch them off via the Settings menu.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.