Could the "Revert Local Changes" be more specfic?

The folder content on “this device” will be overridden. So is it the device that’s showing me the webUI or the device synching the data? “local” on the webUI server or “local” on the synching device?

Please change “this device” and “here” to something specific. Syncthing knows the names of the devices right??

What it dit: Returned a deleted file on the external machine back from the grave. So nothing “local”.

End of rant

1 Like

I’m confused about your confusion. :slight_smile: Are you saying you run Syncthing one some machine A, and open the web UI remotely from some machine B, and expected Syncthing to maybe reach through the browser somehow and make changes on B where it’s not running when it talked about “this device”? That seems like a fairly unlikely interpretation does it not?

I could see the argument “I’m not technical, I don’t know how it works”, and that’s fine, but at the very least you seem conversant with setting up and accessing web services remotely, so … I don’t know.

If you’re saying that the concept that it’s running on another machine and talking about it as “here” is entirely alien, then I’m not sure adding a name would reduce confusion. It might just add confusion about why Syncthing is talking about “here” with a name that belongs to another machine than the one you’re looking at…

3 Likes

Hi Jacob,

Glad to see that you seem to agree that not naming devices causes confusion. I also seem to have used “showing” instead of “serving”. That was a mistake on my part.

There are only two devices: SERVER: the device that serves the webUI, accessed by localhost same machine. One way receives data. EXTERNAL: device that one-way transmits the data

After removing a single file on EXTERNAL the Revert Local Changes dialog popped up. This could be interpreted in multiple ways:

1. The folder content on SERVER will be overwritten to become identical with other devices. Files newly added on SERVER will be deleted. Are you sure you want to revert all changes on SERVER?

2. The folder content on EXTERNAL will be overwritten to become identical with other devices. Files newly added on EXTERNAL will be deleted. Are you sure you want to revert all changes on EXTERNAL?

It did recovered the file on EXTERNAL, so it did things on EXTERNAL, so option 2 was correct.

2 Likes