Correct configuration Domain, DynDNS or static IP addresses

Hello,

I use syncthing-fork on my Android Device and for a long time, battery consuming is very high. So I read some helpfull tips like this and this.

I use a Fritzbox with myfritz Service and connect this like DynDNS with my Domain. Now I have set in the App following settings and connection works. But I found not more Information, is the configuration realy correct.

Do I have to consider or change anything else?

I would be very grateful for an answer!

Sorry, but I am not sure whar the relation between the connection type and battery life is.

I guess if the connection works, then thats all that matters. I suspect in certain networks it might stop working, but then again, you are moving away from the safe working defaults, so presumably you know what you are doing and for what reason.

@phon3Xx Hi, what are your phone specs (make, model, more details)? From my perception, Android’s burn a lot of battery percent when they can’t get idle with the network adapters, e.g. you have one (or even more) app(s) around which hold up a constant TCP connection. This will cause your WiFi/3G adapter to stay awake and consume battery. How much it is strongly depends on which hardware you have. Some manufacturers for example use DTIM, and, if supported by the WiFi AP, it can help to allow the adapter go to sleep and wake up every X-th beacon. I’m also a lot “battery aware” with my Android 10 Xiaomi mi 8 phone. So I’ve disabled every connection method except local discovery, forwarded a port for Syncthing to communicate on my router and pointed the phone with static address to it. I never loose much percent when Syncthing is idle. Furthermore, I’ve set “Sync every hour for 5 minutes” and together with the WiFi AP max. bandwidth of around 400 MBit/sec. it catches up fast transferring new pictures over when I return home. I hope the generic info helps you a bit, but I don’t know your phone and firmware.

EDIT: Now looking a little bit closer at your screenshots. Do you have VPN on most of the time?

Screenshots of my config:

@AudriusButkevicius thanks for answer.

Sorry, but I am not sure whar the relation between the connection type and battery life is.

I don’t know but maybe it’s worth a try.

I guess if the …

I use Syncthing on some Devices about 5+ years and test something, but I am not sure about some things.

@Catfriend1 thanks also for answer. I have a Oneplus 6 with the official lastest Rom (10.3.5) without root. The battery drain started, I think 3-5 build before and interesting: when i install the app fresh and sync my folders the first day it works normaly. 5 minute synchronization is unfortunately no solution. I synchronize a Keepass database and this database changes very often

EDIT: Now looking a little bit closer at your screenshots. Do you have VPN on most of the time?

No, it’s not a VPN, just the app Blokada.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.