Configure Syncthing to work across WAN?

I’m on the latest stable Syncthing:

$ syncthing --version
syncthing v0.11.26 "Aluminium Ant" (go1.4.2 linux-amd64 default) unknown-user@syncthing-builder 2015-10-02 06:08:07 UTC

I’m running on an Ubuntu 14.04 derivative (elementary OS Freya), amd64 architecture, etc. My other device is an Android 5.0 device running a CyanogenMod nightly with the Syncthing client installed from the Play Store, presumably the latest one available.

When the two devices are on the same network, everything works just dandy and everyone seems happy. Syncs happen usually without any fuss. However, if my laptop is on ethernet (therefore a different LAN) and not on WiFi, the two devices can’t find each other.

Is there some special configuration required to configure Syncthing to find devices over a WAN?

For Syncthing nodes to find each other, they either need to be able to multicast/broadcast, use the global discovery or have a direct entry for the other node (address field).

For Synthing nodes to connect to each other, at least one of them needs to be connectable on the Port specified in the config (usually 22000). So you need to set up a port forwarding in your router or enable UPnP in Syncthing and in your router.

v0.12 will have relay servers which will be used if no direct connection is possible, but they will probably never be as fast as direct connection, especially when both devices are in the same room.

Why is your Wifi connected to your LAN via WAN anyway?

Why is your Wifi connected to your LAN via WAN anyway?

It isn’t. It’s just that it appears that my hardline LAN is a different LAN than the WiFi. I’m also interested in seeing my desktop at home be able to transfer files to and from my computer here at work, which would definitely be over the WAN.

At home, I can open ports, but having the relay servers is a much better solution IMO, as I’ll have multiple syncthing clients running behind my firewall.

When using UPnP you don’t need to open Ports manually. When doing it manually, you can use different ports on your nodes and forward them in your router, so every node at home is connectable from the internet.

I’ve got UPnP disabled for security reasons. Multicast announcing within the network is fine and seems to work. I might just tighten the security for getting into my network and then enable UPnP.

Just simply make a port forwarding would be fine, each port listener can manually set port, all you need is a direct entry on the config

Relays will have rate limits of 50-100kb/s, so unless you are in Antarctica, thats not a better solution.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.