config file version (36) is newer than supported version (35)

Hello. Today I installed Windows 10 on new m2 ssd. Then I installed Syncthing and I can’t run it because a problem.

Log:

[monitor] 10:51:34 INFO: Log output saved to file "C:\Users\ilya\AppData\Local\Syncthing\syncthing.log"
[start] 10:51:34 INFO: syncthing v1.18.1 "Fermium Flea" (go1.16.6 windows-amd64) teamcity@build.syncthing.net 2021-07-30 12:41:57 UTC
[start] 10:51:34 WARNING: Failed to initialize config: config file version (36) is newer than supported version (35). If this is expected, use -allow-newer-config to override.
[monitor] 10:51:35 INFO: Log output saved to file "C:\Users\ilya\AppData\Local\Syncthing\syncthing.log"
[start] 10:51:35 INFO: syncthing v1.18.1 "Fermium Flea" (go1.16.6 windows-amd64) teamcity@build.syncthing.net 2021-07-30 12:41:57 UTC
[start] 10:51:35 WARNING: Failed to initialize config: config file version (36) is newer than supported version (35). If this is expected, use -allow-newer-config to override.
[monitor] 10:51:35 INFO: Log output saved to file "C:\Users\ilya\AppData\Local\Syncthing\syncthing.log"
[start] 10:51:35 INFO: syncthing v1.18.1 "Fermium Flea" (go1.16.6 windows-amd64) teamcity@build.syncthing.net 2021-07-30 12:41:57 UTC
[start] 10:51:35 WARNING: Failed to initialize config: config file version (36) is newer than supported version (35). If this is expected, use -allow-newer-config to override.

Previousley I run cmd+web version. But delete it after. Could it have broken something?

I googled this problem and found 3 topics, but didn’t understand how to solve this problem. Can you explain it to me as clearly as possible?

What means -allow-newer-config and where I should put this?

1 Like

Try to find the config.xml file, then open it with a text editor. Change 36 on the first line back to 35. That will make it work to automatically upgrade and keep working from then on (just a one-time thing to do).

2 Likes

Where can I find it? I searched it in root and got 0 results. I searched it in my computer, and found many of files in Windows, Adobe, Documents and other folders.

Please check https://docs.syncthing.net/users/config.html. In sum, the file will be located in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Syncthing. If you copy and paste the path into the address bar in Windows Explorer and then press Enter, it will automatically expand and go to the appropriate location.

Edit:

Actually, you’ve got the exact path listed in the log above (i.e. C:\Users\ilya\AppData\Local\Syncthing).

1 Like

I just ran into the same issue with an remote computer. I use synctrayzor. Said I needed 35, so edited the xml, restarted, then it said I needed version 29. Hmmmmm. Looked at synctrayzor and the latest version of Syncthing had been set to Syncthing.exe.old and the Syncthing.exe was from 2019. Did some file renaming and everything started.

Yeah, it seems that the problem happens when someone has run the official Syncthing binary first, and only then tried to switch to SyncTrayzor. Please keep in mind though that while changing the number from 36 to 35 has no real consequences (see the related commit https://github.com/syncthing/syncthing/commit/d35d7d23600b2ea2478924e297a70cac64ef62ea which only removed already unused values), changing from 35/36 to 29 will delete all settings that were newly added after 29 (e.g. default ignores and such).

I am not so happy about the advise given here, even more so without any explanation of what’s happening. And I think it’s the least favorable way of resolving the issue here. My preference would 1.:

1. Update Syncthing. There’s multiple options here: Running syncthing --upgrade, downloading the latest Syncthing binary (Syncthing | Downloads) and replacing the existing one, maybe something in Synctrayzor?, …
  2. Copy the config and start Syncthing with allow-newer-config (or similar, didn’t check).
  3. Do the config.xml editing. Really I wouldn’t thouhg, 1. should work just fine.
1 Like

SyncTrayzor actually has the process explained in the readme (see https://github.com/canton7/SyncTrayzor#installed-1):

If you want to manually upgrade (e.g. to a beta version) you should download Syncthing from the releases page, and replace the syncthing.exe in C:\Users\<You>\AppData\Roaming\SyncTrayzor .

1 Like

I agree, editing the version number in config.xml is not a clean way. I only recommend it in this one specific instance, because we know it is safe to do. And for some people and / or platforms, it is the way with the lowest barrier to get done correctly.

That may be (didn’t look so closely), but ideally you’d always take into account that this is public and a lot more people will read it (and in this case would hardly have understood that this is not general advise).

1 Like

Thank you, it’s worked!

Hi, I recently installed synctrayzor on a clean install of Windows 11 (64-bit). It ran for maybe 2-3 weeks and then stopped with this error in the log. SyncTrayzor won’t start giving the error, “Syncthing failed to start”.

The log file states the “version (36) is newer than supported version (35)” mentioned for this thread.

I’m at a loss. I used it for years across a NAS, laptops and desktops without ever seeing an error.

Have you by any chance ran a newer syncthing.exe binary in between, e.g. downloaded from the official Syncthing website, GitHub or any other place? This really shouldn’t happen under normal circumstances, unless you’ve been trying to switch back and forth between older and newer versions of Syncthing.

At this point, you can follow the advice from the SyncTrayzor’s readme (see https://forum.syncthing.net/t/config-file-version-36-is-newer-than-supported-version-35/18214/8 above), i.e. download the official binary from https://syncthing.net and replace your current one with it.

No, not on the machine with the error. Like I said, this is a clean-install / new PC that initially synced probably 70GB of data from a NAS and then crashed 1-2 weeks later. I was pulling up synctrayzor on the machine only to add a folder and it claimed it isn’t really running (the whole kill all processes message). It will not start. I tried to uninstall / install with new download thinking maybe a updated would have occurred but nope.

Given the odd wording of the log, “config file version (36) is newer than supported version (35)”, I did wonder about cross-platform version issues??? The NAS is linux and other Win 11 PC’s online.

Have you, by any chance, used system restore or any other similar backup mechanism in your OS? This error is strictly about the local version of Syncthing, i.e. it’s got nothing to do with other devices or cross-platform compatibility. It can happen even if you haven’t connected any remote devices yet.

Interesting, no to system restores. If it’s really local-only then I’m at a loss. Perhaps a lot of Windows 11 patches at best from being new PC.

Obviously, unrelated if it’s local-only but the only thing out of the ordinary is that I updated my NAS’s software during the same time period. It’s now v1.19.0, Linux (64-bit Intel/AMD). It was pretty out-of-date before that by maybe more than a year even.

In any case, I did just do as you recommended and download the official binary and replace my current one with it under AppData. It worked and even seems to remember my settings despite me uninstalling / re-installing a time or two over the past 7 - 10 days after it crashed. I had even wiped out the SyncTrayzor folder under AppData/Roaming after reading it retains that after uninstalling.

Thanks for the help!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.