com.apple.provenance

Did you modify the log excerpts? Otherwise there seems to be a logging bug in the puller - it shouldn’t ever fail without logging a single line on what it failed, regardless of what the reason is. (Or I have tomatoes on my eyes and just can’t see that line).

I didn’t modify the log output other than redacting the actual device IDs. But, these are just a few lines out of hundreds of thousands that were generated after enabling the extra debugging. I sent the full log to Jakob to look at.

@calmh I built a new macOS bundle based on v1.22.2-rc.2. Just updated issue #185 over at syncthing-macos.

Well chuffed to report that the prerelease looks good! Thank you wholeheartedly!

update: the additional fix from #8667 in has smoothed out the last rough edge for me on this. :+1:

1 Like

It’s interesting that I’ve still not seen the actual xattr (com.apple.provenance) on any of my systems, and information on the internet about it seems sparse. I wonder what it is and what it signifies.

Are you sure? I’ve only seen it on Ventura, so if you’re not on that you probably won’t see it.

Try this command and see if it turns up any hits:

find ~ -xattrname com.apple.provenance

Yeah, Ventura. There were indeed a small handful of files with that attribute, under Library, looking like maybe files created recently by sandboxed apps or something like that.

I decided to dig a bit more. Noticed that the metadata value was identical for 99% of the files that had this attribute.

find ~ -xattrname com.apple.provenance -exec xattr -pxs com.apple.provenance {} \; | sort -u

I tried digging in the IOKit registry to see if I could find any reference to it buried in there

ioreg -l | grep --color '<that_hex_value>'

…but it turned up no hits. So not sure what it’s derived from. Some sort of hash maybe.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.