Automatically updated to 13

-home specifies where the database lives. We can’t store anything anywhere if we don’t know where the database lives.

Having a piece of paper with your address in your house is not very useful when you are outside of your house and don’t know your address.

1 Like

I understand that but then how does Syncthing “decide” on what it’s default path should be when there is nothing specified for -home

That must be hardcoded somewhere, right? Would that be possible to edit on the user end (in some future release)?

@JacksonHell

Somewhere on your machine there is a folder containing files such as:

• cert.pem
  • config.xml
  • key.pem
  • a sub-folder called "index-v0.13.xxxx

and more.

Can you give us the path on your machine to this folder, and I am pretty sure someone here can help you create a command that will correctly launch Syncthing.

I know where that folder is and how to launch syncthing using that folder per @canton7 's instructions.

I’m really just asking if it would be possible (in a future release if not now) to change the path in a more permanent way rather then always starting Syncthing with -home="path"

That said, I’m only asking for curiosity’s sake, I am fine with the way it works now.

That is compiled in the code, as default if not specified on the command line. This is not something that can be changed without compiling your own version of syncthing.

I think you can manipulate where it ends up putting stuff by modifying environment variables (not sure read the code), but I don’t understand why you can’t just specify it on the command line.

Regardless, you should stop bikeshedding a random unrelated thread with your questions, and open a new topic of any questions still exist.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.